Monday, March 19, 2012

The Day After St. Patty's Day Is Way Better Because You Can Wear Any Color You Want

I have no Irish connection besides being a bit of a Lucky Charms fiend back in the day. I don't care for Guinness. And green is not my color. So much so that whenever I do decide to get festive for St. Patty's Day, I have to go out and buy something specific for the occasion. This year's long, stretchy Kelly Green tank is going to feel lonely in the sea of blue that is my closet.

FYI I was in the clear.
Anyway, even though St. Patrick's Day rarely holds much appeal for me, this year the conditions were perfect - warm weather and fun people.

Like any good buddy adventure movie, our impromptu bar crawl around downtown Denver was full of shenanigans, exploits, mayhem, confusion, debauchery, laughter, and tears from laughter.

Have you ever eaten an illegal burrito (as in "no outside food" illegal, not like "a four year old in China made this out of baby seals and heroin" illegal) from underneath your jacket? Each bite leaned into like your sniffing your armpit? Just me? You fancy, huh?

Not that that wasn't special, but my favorite part of the night actually happened the next morning. One of Shawn's friends in town for the weekend crashed our slumber party. Considering he's an Irish guy who was born 30 years ago on March 17, you can imagine how things were at "Where is Doug and what is this tiger doing here?" Hangover levels when he came to.

"Do you know what area code 715 is?"

First off, even though I've totally asked this question a million times, it is one of my biggest pet peeves. What do I look like to you, the kind of kid who stayed home on Friday nights memorizing random area codes? You shut your mouth when you're talking to me. And, second, there is no such thing as a stupid question because, damnit, you can Google it. 

Where was I? Oh right, 715 is a Madison, Wisconsin area code.

"Here's what the text from the random number says: 'After talking with you last night, I'd really like to make you an usher in my wedding.'"

That's when it hit me. At one point during the night before, I remember we had met a couple at one bar that journeyed with us to another. They were from Wisconsin.

Then I died laughing hysterically for approximately thirty minutes. Only this guy would be invited to be in a random couple's wedding.

Then I made some waffles for everyone.

Then I made a frozen pizza for everyone.

Then I made some bacon in the microwave but totally forgot about it until we'd finished eating, proving that I am actually turning into my mother. (Which of course is a good thing :)

Then I insisted on engaging the couple upstairs (the ones with the great dogs!) in an intense paint color swatch discussion for the better part of 45 minutes. (That's what watching non-stop HGTV will do to you; no one else was nearly as excited.)

Then I had the best ice cream of my life. Not exaggerating. Seriously. Salted Oreo. Let that sink in. That majestically delicious Cookies n' Cream flavor enhanced by the salt. Kudos, Little Man, kudos.

Then we saw 21 Jump Street and laughed our faces off. (I can't wait for Dolo to see it so we can talk about it. Seriously.)

Then I found out that the random Wisconsin wedding text was actually from a friend of his who got a new number, he had just forgotten they talked. (See aforementioned Irish dudes St. Patty's Day 30th birthday.)

But much like the lore of the leprechaun and his pot of gold, St. Patrick's Day is a holiday where you can get drunk believe in whatever you want. And I choose to think it's possible to be so charming that strangers will ask you to take a participatory role in their most holy and special union after meeting on the street for five minutes.

The end.

Hope everyone else had a fun time too!

No comments:

Post a Comment