Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Coming To America

Besides for work-related trips to Indiana and New Jersey, Spiros has spent limited time in the US so I felt like it was my duty to give him the realest perspective of American life that I could.

Which is why I insisted on tracking down the nearest Chipotle to our downtown Denver hotel. And also why we watched a lot of TV.

"Conan is really funny," he assessed. I gave him the entire NBC/Leno saga whether he cared to know the back story or not.

I introduced him to other favorites too. "Tina Fey is half Greek. Once I embarrassed myself in front of Tracy Jordan's entourage Grizz and Dot Com at a movie premiere after party." "The way Ice T treats Coco is how I want a man to treat me. Also, one time I embarrassed myself in front of them in an elevator." "Go back to sleep, this is my favorite cooking show Chopped. I once met that judge at a cooking event and really embarrassed myself in front of him."

Hmm seems to be a trend.

Then on Saturday night while flipping through the channels (just like an average, non-long-distance couple, aw), I realized the 2008 presidential election movie Game Change was premiering on HBO. "Are you ready for your introduction to the circus that is American politics?"

He was whether he wanted to or not. (Because he is incredibly sweet and accommodating, and I am me.) We both thought it was really well done (Julianne Moore is eerily good), and I realized I might need to live under a rock for the next eight months because I don't think I can stomach any more presidential campaigning. (Can We the People please pledge to stop insisting presidential candidates make promises they clearly will never be able to fulfill due to the structure of our government? Checks and Balance! It's not just up to them!)

But his favorite part of my homeland? A Coca-cola with every meal. When I questioned this bizarre behavior - nothing I'd witnessed in Berlin or even when he came to New York - he answered, "It's because I'm in America!" I really rocked his world when I spotted Mexican Coke at the store. I felt like an enabler, but who am I to crush his American dream so early on?

Anyway, Spiros seems to be embracing the idea of the good ol' US of A. "There is just so much space! Everything is so cheap!"

Should be interesting to see what he thinks of Texas when he comes next month.

(Yes. He is meeting my family. Gulp.)

No comments:

Post a Comment