Thursday, March 15, 2012

I Love The Little Mermaid & Other Mature Things 26 Year Olds Say

In a lot of ways, hanging out with me is like spending quality time with a very tall, very precocious toddler.

Soon you will be accustomed with the Hungry Dance, the Cold Dance, the Tired Dance, the Excited Dance, or a dangerous hybrid combo. (Spoiler alert: They all involve me energetically shaking my body in every direction, generally known by my friends as "just how Rachel dances".)

Anyway, you can expect me to get grumpy if it's been too long between feeding times. I will let you know when I have to pee (the frequency of which has caused people to ask: "Do you think you have a problem or something?" but I'm pretty sure it's just a combination of my affinity for hydration and my laziness of bladder).

And also like any small child, I love aquariums. I just think they are the neatest.

Since the first day I've been living on Shawn's couch and learned there was an aquarium literally across the street, I've been counting down until someone would actually go with me. And I knew who would be the perfect candidate.

On our second date in Berlin, Spiros accompanied me to the aquarium so I could cross it off my bucket list. Little did I know at the time, but he might actually like the sea even more than me, e.g. he has his scuba license! he likes to sail! vs. my appreciation for nautical-esque outfits and talking about Red Lobster.

This personal interest combined with his "whatever will make Rachel happy" attitude (seriously, he's the best) led us there on a Sunday afternoon while he was in town. As we walked through the doors, he and I had a conversation about how kids only prefer expensive, real iPhones to any toy. "Yeah, I love mine so much!" I said before darting off by alone to snap a million pictures with my toy adult communication device.

Then he had to have them make an over-head announcement when he couldn't find me.

Just kidding. But let's be honest, after my timer-set attention span ended, my behavior was no better than most of the cranky toddlers ready for dinner. Although I have a feeling they weren't placated with a margarita (or two) afterward.

Anyway, please indulge the inner child who loves sea creatures - and totally doesn't understand why Prince Eric couldn't just turn into a Merman and join Ariel her super-sweet underwater kingdom instead of making her give up everything to join him and his old uncle, who let's be honest wasn't going to live forever, on dry land - and take a look at my photos below.

(I should mentioned I've always been mature for my age, right? I mean, in a Benjamin Button sort of way, obviously.)

I know this is horrible, but every time I see a sting ray I just can't help but think, "Really, God, really?" about Steve Erwin.
Good luck finding Nemo in this one (ah ha ha ha).
One time in 7th grade, The BFF and I did a project on Moray eels and got a C. The grade haunts me to this day, just like the lurking animal whose head you will have to cut off if it ever clinches its jaw on your arm.
(See, I totally learned something, Mrs. Cunningham!!!)
I have nothing clever to say, I just like this picture. 
These starfish look like they're on spring break, slathering on neon body paint for a Girl Talk concert, but no, that's just how nature made them! Amazing, huh?

Just some normal, everyday stalking of other people's children for my own amusement - and giant-fish-size-perspective.

Here's to 2012: The year I get my scuba license and/or learn to act like an actual adult! 

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely loved reading this! Miss you, Rachel! Let me know, and I'll go to an aquarium with you too. Big hug!

    ReplyDelete