Saturday, March 31, 2012

I Will Miss My New Friends So Much

I'm going to be honest, I didn't really make a huge effort to make friends while I was in Denver. As my wise friend Lauren once suggested, "At this point in life, new friends are just dollar signs." And you know what? I have plenty of friends and no steady income. 

Just kidding. Me being cheap wasn't the reason I didn't make an effort to build up a huge Coloradan friendship base. It was that my heart was somewhere else. Sure I met some great people and had plenty of nice nights out with fun characters, but none of those friendships hold a candle to how I feel about my new cat pals

They stole my heart. This Cat Person persona has me all out of sorts - it's even worse than the Baby Fever I admitted to having! I think maybe it's because my childhood cat was such a dud. She was super mean her entire super-long life. Eventually she went from being a wily outdoor cat to a whiny indoor cat who hissed at anyone who tried to pet her. Considering Shawn and The BFF have been in my life a decade plus, Kitty's reputation as "the devil incarnate" made quite an impression on them too.

One day, a few years into living in New York, I was on the phone with my mom, looking visibly upset as she told me how our dog Jesse almost drowned in the lake. (She was convinced the "arch nemesis" neighbor who saved Jesse threw him in on purpose. One of many conspiracy theories on our 'eclectic' street. Also, speaking of neighbors, sadly Drew Barrymore put her house on the market. Damn, just as soon as I was coming back there!) 

Anyway, after I hung up, The BFF looked at me so sadly and whispered, "Is it Kitty? Is she okay?" 

That was when I had to break it to her: Kitty's been dead for like five years

So, this post is for Kitty. I'm sorry I never nurtured our relationship like I did with these cats. Maybe we could have been closer. Or, perhaps, you were just a bitch? 

Pepper doesn't give a SHIT about acting like a lady.

"High-fiving a million angels." - Liz Lemon
Cat Whisperer. 
Look how much they respect me!
The Wolf Pack
Pepper is training to be a feline yoga instructor.
Her classes are really hard. 

Oh, but just in case anyone is worried I'm not still adequately obsessed with dogs, here's a picture of me and the sweetest slobber mop face, Merl. Merl is an Old English Sheepdog - Golden Retriever mix. It is the best combination ever.

We make a pretty good looking couple, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment