Monday, January 30, 2012

What I'll Miss: The Little Things, Everything, Et Cetera

I'll miss walking streets that look like movie sets, with smoke billowing out of orange cones, making it seem like whatever is going on below is far more interesting than just changing air temperatures. 

I'll miss the cheap manicures at 13th and 1st avenue that allow me to pretend to be a put together adult. 

I'll miss the kindness of strangers, seeing a random man helping an equally random woman with her stroller up the subway steps, always making me think, "These New Yorkers aren't nearly as bad as people say." 

I'll miss the little old women who teeter down the street, resting on their carts every few steps in order to make it home, but never losing heir tenacity and perseverance that allows them to continue surviving.

I'll miss the hustle.

And I'll also miss the bustle. 

I'll miss the friends I've made, the people I've known, the faces I see. 

Someday, who knows, maybe I'll live here again. 

But no matter what, I'll visit. As often as I can. 


Because that's the good thing about loving a city as opposed to a guy. It's always there to come back to.

No comments:

Post a Comment