Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Staycation Art Day Is The Best Day

Well, I finally did something worthy of being written about! I had the greatest staycation afternoon imaginable. My friend Dana, who awesomely doesn't work on Wednesdays, suggested we go paint pottery in Williamsburg at Baked in Brooklyn since we both love arts and crafts. 

(Sidebar: Whenever I used to leave work during the day (rarely) and I'd see all the people just wandering around I would always ask myself, "Who are all these people out and about all day? What do they do?" Then it dawned on me recently that now that I've become that person. And in case you were curious what that person does, now you know the answer.)

Anyway, the pottery place is super cute and run by an equally adorable owner and her dog Leon (also my grandfather's name, nice!). I would highly recommend checking it out because not only is it a good time, there are a lot of fun choices of things to paint - like the kind of stuff you could actually use on a regular basis. (As recently justified to myself.) I also think it would be fun to take a friend for her birthday or organize a girls' night out. (Of course I come up with these ideas as I have one foot off the island!) 

But seriously, you should go if you are the kind of person who really loved elementary school Art class, which was obviously awesome.

Here are some pictures from today. Which really was a great day.

This is reaching the upper limit of number of consecutive instructions I want to follow at this point in my "off-season".

I'll take one of each!
After much indecision, I went with the elephant ring holder and the votive candle holder. Quasi-practical, right?

Here's Dana's beautiful mug and the pattern that inspired it. (I was really impressed with Dana's steady hand and attention to detail until I remembered "Oh yeah, she's an eye doctor, she's used to precision and focusing on things.")
Here's my elephant. I figured he would look cute with my blue Babar The Elephant print from Paris and the blue elephant LillyBerlin lamp. (Plus I currently do not have tabs on any of my favorite rings, whoops.)
My citrus votive, my inspiration, and my pallet. Fingers crossed it turns out pretty. (And is ready before I leave!)
If I got to go back, this is what I would paint next. I love the idea of having a sponge holder like that! (Because it's really what I need at this point in the game.)

No comments:

Post a Comment