Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Your Personal Tour Guide

One of my dream jobs would be to work as a personal tour guide in New York. Is that a real thing? Do you think I could find people willing to pay to hang out, eat and drink with me? I can add in really riveting facts like "That is a Whole Foods I occasionally buy stuff from, but not my main grocery shopping location."

Based on that hard sell, it seems like my services might not appeal to everyone, but luckily I was able to spend last weekend with someone who cared about my little piece of life here. The Greek (identifying guys based on their exotic nationality just seems to be easiest), otherwise known as the guy from my last week in Berlin, came to New York for meetings, adding in an extra day to see me.

Swoon.

We had dinner at Kittichai and brunched at Beauty & Essex (the tequila, cinnamon & honey cocktail was a-mazing). We walked across the Brooklyn Bridge followed by a stroll from SoHo through the LES and East Village to Union Square. (I'll miss these stompin' grounds!)

We made a stop along the way at Pipa (which I found out means blowjob in Greek?!?) where I drooled over ABC Carpet & Home chandeliers (someday!!!) and sipped on sangria. We ended the evening in my single favorite spot in the city - Madison Square Park - a little piece of heaven hidden away by its surrounding statuesque structures.

We did all this on foot, mind you, because to me the cornerstone of New York appreciation is walking, the only way you can get a full sense of the city's charm. I especially love sharing this view of my favorite places with those who have never experienced anything beyond Times Square and other Uptown madness. Every few blocks you encounter a new neighborhood, the juxtaposition of different atmospheres constrasting the million options the city has to offer. 

It is all very magical.

And it will remain that way, long after I leave. But hey, I can always come to visit.

(Especially on someone else's dollar. Any takers? Disclaimer: Personal Tour Guide is not code for hooker, just so we're on the same page.)

No comments:

Post a Comment