Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Kind of Sad, Allegedly

In an effort not to start 2012 incredibly let down, I went into New Year's Eve with low expectations. I mean, I was excited for an opportunity to get dressed up, see friends and be back in the city, but in general, I just really could not make any grand effort one way or another. Because New Year's Eve is the worst.*
*With the exception of 1982 when my parents were married. Happy 29th anniversary, guys.

Anyway, my night actually started off amazing, lifting my spirits for the possibilities ahead. What grand act could bring me such happiness? I found a cab in less than five minutes. Granted it was still fairly early, but still. New Year's miracle! Of course this great luck landed me at the restaurant 20 minutes head of the friends I was meeting for dinner.

Normally I would be uneasy about being forced to sit alone at a bar, but bolstered by my newfound "I am a confidant lady who lived in Europe!" experience, I sauntered up and ordered myself a dirty vodka martini. Like a champ, texting (legimately, not even pantomiming, but we've all been there) and sipping my adult beverage.

And then, after I'd marinated in my comfortable smugness for a few minutes, the guy sitting to my left confronted me with the statement, "We have been wondering what you are doing here by yourself." Followed by his embarrassed girlfriend interrupting to clarify they had not in fact been "wondering" about me. It was more or less the greatest fear I have ever had about going to a restaurant by myself. Luckily I was able to assure them I was in fact meeting people and not alone like a total loser alone on New Year's. And then I waited with baited breath for my friends to show up before the couple left so I didn't look like a huge losery liar. (The girls soon came and all was right in the world.)

Following the meal, my friends and I managed to find another cab within a matter of seconds to drive us to The BFF's BFs TriBeca apartment for a party. With a limited amount of eligible bachelors in attendance - although a 22 year old in town visiting his brother was fairly adorable cougar bait - I spent the Midnight Countown awkwardly congregated in a corner with my other single friends. Which was totally fine until I started reminding myself "How you spend New Year's is how you'll spend the new year." Real inspirational.

But it was fine. Low key and low expectations. Which is why I agreed to stop by a bar on my way home to say hi to my friend Jim, the poster child for someone you should under-estimate. It was good to catch up, but more importantly, it was good to get two more cabs with little to no effort. No trouble getting home? NYE VICTORY!!!!

Due to my fairly well-behaved evening, I was rewarded with a hangover free New Year's Day where I took advantage of the warm(ish) weather with a long walk in Central Park. And I have to say, it was pretty perfect.

I was feeling proud of myself and my good decisions until I talked on the phone with my mom. She had been dying to tell me about her night. She wore a dress I had suggested she try on while we were on a post-Christmas shopping trip, "something she would never have chosen for herself." It looked great on her, and I had a feeling it would inspire a fun night out. (I am giving the dress more credit than it deserves - put my mom in a situation with live music and she will have fun, no questions asked.)

Anyway, she was giving me the play by play of the night, I was half paying attention, and then all of a sudden the words, "And then the waitresses dancing on the bar suggested I get up there and I figured 'when else am I going to say I did this?' so I got up there too!!!"

Yep. My mom thinks her night was great because she danced on a bar. I thought I had a great night due to my efficient cab hailing.

When I gave that comparison to her on the phone, her answer was: "That is kind of sad, Rachel."

Hope you had a special time too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment