Friday, January 27, 2012

What I'll Miss: Madison Square Park

My love of Madison Square Park is no secret. I think it is the perfect spot in New York. A little haven of green surrounded by postcard-worthy buildings. Depending on which spot you're standing, you'll have a full view of the Empire State Building, the gold-roof New York Life Building, the Met Life Tower, and my beloved Flatiron building.

And I can't forget the art. The first time I walked through the park, silver aluminum trees were sprouting from the ground. Since then there have been phantom shadow light displays, tree houses, and a giant head sculpture. (Here's a great montage of some of the old stuff if you're interested. Some of it is pretty crazy.) Recently it was this little guy these people:


Plus the park has lots of activities going on at different times during the year. (Once I saw a FRENCH BULLDOG HALLOWEEN COSTUME PARTY THERE. BEST DAY EVER.) Plus there are concerts, US Open tennis-promoting viewing parties, and the Big Apple BBQ Festival! (Ash, I will miss this and you most of all!!)

One of my favorite corners is documented below, including some fun, educational real estate facts! (Because we all secretly love architecture, I know.)

The squatty one to the left was supposed to be almost three times as tall, but then The Great Depression hit and they ran out of money. And the tall, skinny building One Madison has had plenty of its own money woes and resulting issues.
I'll miss walking through here on my walk home, but luckily no matter where I'm living I'll be able to enjoy the view at home thanks to this great print:

Gifted by the wonderful aforementioned Ashley.
Mounted on an old cabinet I found on the street courtesy of moi.

Hopefully if you're in the city you'll swing by and enjoy it for me! Especially in the spring. The flowers. Oh the flowers, I forgot to talk about the flowers! 

(Sigh, pre-mature nostalgia is a bitch...)

2 comments:

  1. I know you're returning to the land of bbq, but you might need to plan a trip back for this year's fest so we don't end our streak with a gross, rainy day. or you could not leave, that would be fine too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoyed reading this...
    the pictures also are wonderful...
    you are lucky to have these surroundings where you live...

    ReplyDelete