Friday, January 6, 2012

What's Next For Me, I'm Sure You're Wondering

Because I assume you've been on pins and needles waiting to know where I will go and what I will do after I leave New York, I've decided to answer some hypothetical questions:

Are you moving to Austin?
At some point, but not right away.

So where are you going?
I've decided to take a "winter sabbatical" in Colorado for a month or two. My incredibly sweet friend S, who I visited last February, has offered to let me crash on her couch in Denver.

What are you going to do in Colorado?
Nothing? Enjoy the bevvy of hot, single men? ("Menver" haha). No, but really, my only priorities are to enjoy life, ski on the weekends, cook, practice yoga, convince S's cat that her (his) name is Mrs. Beatrice, and write. One goal I've had for awhile is to write a book, and now the stars have aligned to make it possible for me to dedicate some time to it. Of course the level of self-motivation required is ridic (especially competing with the possibility of endless hours of TV watching), but we shall see. Hopefully I will make the most of it. In which case, do you know anyone who works in publishing? (If only my mother could channel her energy and transition from being my Pimp Match.Mom Agent to my Literary Agent, then I might have a chance... ;)

Please tolerate me while I live the dream. 
So you're just quitting your job in the middle of a bleak economic downturn to be unemployed on purpose...?
Yep! If you think about it, I'm kind of a jobs creator. So, you're welcome, America.

And your parents are supportive of that decision?
Surprisingly, yes. Although, considering my father and aunt both lived in Colorado as ski bums in their 20s, I guess there wasn't much they could say. It's in my genes!

What are you going to do for work after you've depleted your savings account?
I don't know, have any good leads for me? The fall-back plan is to move to Austin and "live off the land."

Does "live off the land" mean live in your parents basement and eat their food?
Trick question, it's Texas, there are no basements! But yes, generally, that is the idea. I also plan to put together a dossier of aggregated promises my mother has made to me via gchat in an effort to bribe me to move back to Austin. "You can have your brother's car, he doesn't drive it very often," for starters. "Get as many dogs as you want!" (Okay, that one might not be verbatim.)

So yeah, basically I should probably be more worried about my future than I am. We'll see what happens, but it's a new year and I can't help but to be optimistic.

Anyone else doing anything crazy with the fresh start of the new year?

*crickets*

Just me?

4 comments:

  1. MOVE BACK TO AUSTIN.

    I need friends.

    And clearly, it's all about what's best for ME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog as I am considering moving to NYC in 2013. Welcome, to Denver, we could use another attractive single woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! I think your plan sounds like a fun adventure.

    ReplyDelete