Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Dear Match Dot Mom

Dear Mom,

I know how you are. I know that you just love "networking." Yes, you have a gift. But let us remember there is a difference between introducing people and stalking. Take, for instance, that random girl you know whose brother lives in New York. Yes, I get that we're both from Texas. Yes, I get that based on one tiny picture you've seen of him on Facebook that he might not be Quasimodo. Yes, I get you're just trying to help me make new friends.

But you have to stop trying to make it happen. It's just not going to. Why?

Maybe it's the fact that he lives in New York and is a guy. (This demographic has no sense of urgency to meet some super awesome girl from Texas with a blog. Oh wait, no one wants to meet a girl with a blog...source: every guy who knows about the blog. Their loss.)

Maybe it could also be because that one time he and his sister tried to search for my name on Facebook, the search results only showed two heavy-set African American women (Spoiler alert: Not me).

Maybe it's because you've passed along my email twice now to no response from him, and he most likely thinks I'm a desperate spinster. (Maybe someday.)

So, relax, I know you're worried I will fall in love with someone from Antarctica, relocate and never produce any human grandchildren for you (puppies!!). I promise to try not to do that if you promise to stop soliciting randoms on Facebook.

Love,

Your favorite child daughter

No comments:

Post a Comment