Thursday, June 17, 2010

Guest Post: The BFF's Reflections on the Past, Present, and…Future?

[Ed. Note: The BFF and I were still BFFs in college, but we (sort of) branched out and had different circles of friends, leading to our own college experiences. Oh what do you know, they were similar. And, shockingly, we're on the same page about finding the next big thing to focus on in our lives. If you have any suggestions, don't be shy.]

Back in college I was a real go-getter.

Well I wasn’t really involved in the regular ‘scholarly’ activities per se. I was more all about the party scene, and I had a rockin’ time. I met so many great people. I made a few bad (awesome) decisions.

Best College Experience Ever.

Sometimes things got really complicated like when I had to juggle between different boyfriends or decide if I wanted to go to SigEp or PhiPsi late night.

Oh. Sigh. Those were the days.

But now I look back and see it wasn’t actually all fun and games.

Determination to improve my beer pong skills also meant gaining a bunch of weight (my mother lovingly refers to this period of my life as the ‘The Fat BFF’ days). Wanting to look like Playboy’s ‘Girls Next Door’ led to frying my dark hair ratty blonde and turning my skin temporarily orange with bad fake tanner.

I didn’t take class too seriously. I was not a fan of studying. I hardly ever read text books (and I was an English major.) I literally wrote a short story about mutant squirrels that killed everyone for one of my creative writing classes.

Instant classic.

Yup, I had it pretty easy back then.

So let’s be honest: I never really thought about the future. I was/am guided by the ‘Life is Beautiful’/’God has path for all of us’ philosophy.

The only long term goals I really ever had was A) move to New York, B) have little girls look up to me and say “She’s just like Barbie. I want to be her when I grow up!” and C) most important: BE HAPPY! So here I am two and a half years later living in my beloved city, being as baller as Barbie, and loving life.

But now I must look for my next big project.

Back in the day I (like every girl ever I assume) imagined settling down at a young age with Ken then enjoying the birthing of babies and what not. But you know you get older. You learn important lessons:

Men are super annoying. Babies Cry. Like a lot.

I am not ready to sign up for that.

So what am I to do in the meantime? Still figuring that out.

I’ll keep you posted.

- The BFF

1 comment:

  1. very well put.(is that correct english?:)

    ReplyDelete