Friday, June 25, 2010

To This Morning's Future Husband

Dear Future Husband Riding the L Train:

I just have to say, I really could see a future between us. You were too cute and mature to be a summer intern. You were tall. And, although it didn't come up in our silent conversation we shared or I imagined we shared, you seem like you would totally be on board potentially moving to Austin.

You might remember me as the girl who gently shoved you further into the subway car so she could squeeze in too. I promise I'm not normally that impatient*, I just couldn't wait another minute in that stifling heat. The weather? You must enjoy it too, but not when we're headed to work. Couldn't you totally go for a day at the beach? Or laying out by a pool? Me too. You seem like you might know people who have Hamptons shares, in which case, yes, I would totally love to go with you.

Thank goodness you're not the type of guy to awkwardly touch a girl's back, though, because things could have gotten weird. With this humidity, my back is like a slip n' slide, very sexy. As you probably already know, the Awkward Back Touch should be avoided during summer months unless you find yourself somewhere chilled down. Like my arctic tundra office or a meat locker. (Although either venue sounds muy awkward to be touched in anyway so don't actually do that. Not that you would, obviously.)

From your constant yawning I assume you had a fun night? You seem like you know how to have a good time, but in a classy way, not in the way the guy next to us wearing the Playboy bunny sunglasses probably does. Did you see those? Based on your non-descript khakis, casually wrinkled button down and no visible signs of hideous man jewelry, you seem to know better. I have to say, I really like that about you.

Unfortunately it dawned on me while we were pressed up against one another that I was a few minutes behind schedule this morning. I don't know what this means for our future, but hopefully you don't mind rising and shining just a bit earlier. It'll be fine, though, because you seem like you care about punctuality too!

Once a guy on the subway wrote The BFF a  poem. You would never, and I appreciate that. Perhaps a business card?

Till we meet again.

Fondly,
Rachel

*lie

2 comments:

  1. The only thing better than missed connections on craigslist is actually getting to see a friend's personal missed connection plea. This has made my morning.

    p.s. you're incredibly impatient, don't start the relationship off on a lie.

    p.s.s. get to work, stop stalking summer interns on the subway... creep.

    Love, always,
    Jerz

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing better than missed connections on craigslist is actually getting to see a friend's personal missed connection plea. This has made my morning.

    p.s. you're incredibly impatient, don't start the relationship off on a lie.

    p.s.s. get to work, stop stalking summer interns on the subway... creep.

    Love, always,
    Jerz

    ReplyDelete