Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Accountability, Or, What Is It That I Do All Day?

A few months ago, my mom shared with me the quote, "Accountability is the breakfast of champions." And while my first instinct was to roll my eyes (um, jaded much?), it's been playing in my head ever since.

The truth is, I love deadlines. I also need to have people know what I'm accomplishing, and I sure as hell need some positive recognition for it. (As does pretty much anyone in Generation E - as in Entitlement -  which is what I'm renaming us.)

While I'm definitely not complaining about the lack of work-related stress in my life (considering how soul-crushing it's been at times), I do miss that structured, forced accountability. Let me tell you, it can be a real challenge to get stuff done without someone breathing down your neck.

Although I've always been pretty good about being self-disciplined, when it comes to writing, my brain just has a hard time focusing on getting down to business.

"I didn't watch last night's episode of New Girl yet." "I wonder what great words of wisdom Joanna has to offer today?" "Am I hungry? I could definitely be hungry."

My sabbatical began in mid-January, and as I'm about to enter into my second trimester of worthlessness, my writing recipe is pretty much down to a science: Two-parts whatever to every one-part writing. It's like baking: If you don't follow it precisely then the bread doesn't rise evenly. (Just kidding, what do I know about following recipes, lolz.)

I've started calling my brain the "the Idea Hotel":
There are always vacancies.
Although my adult on-set A.D.D. isn't helping, I like to think of it as giving my ideas time to "marinate" before I fully flesh them out. Whether or not you actually believe that excuse, whatever, but at least I've started making the most of my "non-writing" time. As in, multitasking chores or handling various bill-paying (more like "wedding present buying") tasks while watching TV. 

Sure, no one is giving me a gold medal for any of this (again, I was raised to expect that they would; thanks a lot, mom and dad, for loving me too much), but at least I have something remotely useful with which to respond to the question "What did you do today?" besides "You're looking at it."

For example, yesterday I applied for some more short term health insurance! You're proud of me, right?

PS: While in Denver, I started a first draft of a book. At this rate, it will be available to read in a 2020. Mark your calendars!

This picture is inspirational. 

No comments:

Post a Comment