Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A Wrinkle In Time & A Few Extra On My Forehead

The BFF and I are rarely in Austin at the same time, and when we are, it's typically for family-focused holidays like Christmas when apparently we don't "need" to see each other all the time. And although last December we spent a fun afternoon walking down memory lane around the UT campus, rarely do we ever chillax in our old hood of Westlake. (If you know Austin, clearly we're both super hood.)

Anyway, I was beyond excited when I found out that her spring break from b-school coincided with me coming back to Austin. Considering I've spent plenty of quality time with my parents lately, I think they're probably glad to have a babysitter around to entertain me.

Much like I've been doing for a decade, on Monday I rolled over to her house in my mom's old car, windows down, blasting hip-hop. Our first stop was Town Lake where we spent three miles gossiping about boys, sharing our hopes and dreams, and avoiding eye contact with bitches from middle school who also happened to be there. (We've come so far in some ways, stuck in concrete in others.)

After running a few errands (it's virtually impossible to find SPF 15 anymore, did you know?) and filling our bellies with Thai food, we arranged to go lay out by her uncle's pool. (Both of us had really under-privileged, pool-less childhoods, wah wah.) As we floated around enjoying the warm weather, I felt like we might have fallen through a crack in time, a Spring Break Vortex to years past when the most pressing concern was who might ask us to prom. (I'm not sad to be past that stage.)

As you can see, tanning has never been our strong suit.
(And please don't judge my puka shell necklace, it was 2002.)

On our way back to her house, The BFF commented on how delicious fro-yo would be. Who was I to say no to a great suggestion like that? Although it's no longer the same TCBY that we used to walk to from school, sitting at those front tables being bombarded by bees reminded me of the good ol' days of when boys ignored us and we didn't understand why. (By good, I mean awkward. And it was because boys are stupid.)

(Side note: Speaking of TCBY, their white chocolate mousse will always be my #1 fro-yo flavor, and since the chain seems to be going extinct, when I spotted one in the Denver airport as I made my way to the gate, I was all "Breakfast!" Too excited to know what I was doing, I shoved my hand in my purse and fished around for what I thought was my credit card. No, it was actually my birth control. Nothing classier than trying to buy fro-yo at 9 am with your BC. Real role model over here, kids.)

Where was I? Oh yeah, an awesome day of regression with my best friend. My favorite part? Listening to her discuss the "science" behind tanning.

The BFF: "Right now at noon the sun's rays are pointing directly down and you burn. Later they are going sideways so we'll get golden."

Me: "Wow, Billy Nye, where'd you learn that?"

The BFF: "My mom. You know I believe anything she tells me."

[After the pool]

The BFF: "You probably shouldn't shower for awhile after you get home so it doesn't mess up your tan."

Me: "That's only if it's fake tanner."

The BFF: "You're sure you can't wash off the sun?"

Me: "Listen to the words that you're saying, and answer your own question."

Love you, bestie! Pick you up at noon?

No comments:

Post a Comment