Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Match.com vs Match.mom

I mentioned last week that I decided to make the most of the large amount of time I dedicated to filling out the grueling Match profile and go on a date with a guy who emailed me.

We met out on west 6th street at J.Blacks, me with two of my favorite college gal pals in tow.  Sorry, ladies. There are two ways a guy can handle the friends: He can get them on his side (buying a drink helps) or he can try and steal away your attention. He failed.

The embroidered shirt he was wearing did not help. Nor did the fact it somehow came up that he shaved his chest. Neither are my style. Oh, and small world, he went to school with my older cousin.

The next night I had my date with the guy my mom set me up with. I got a text from her on Thursday giving me a heads up she met a cute guy and passed along my information. He emailed me shortly after. He was far more worried about it than me. I mean, this is what the woman does. Plus my mom is super shallow (“I chose to marry for looks”) so I knew he’d at least be cute.

We met at one of Bachelor Brad’s bars Dogwood. (Speaking of, he used to bar tend with him in college. "He has no personality." I think all of America already knows that.) 

He was late. Personal pet peeve!! Strike one. But he made for it. Taaaalllll, good looking, and oh so easy to talk to. We had a great time, ending the night with the aforementioned late night bite at Magnolia.

Even though Austin is growing a mile a minute, it’s still a small town to me. Going to high school and college there, I always know I’ll run into someone from the past. While I was on the date, I saw a former college roommate (hi!). It was great to run into her, less exciting to run into two guys from high school (friends of the ‘The BFF is a great reader’ guys I saw during the fall).

And I’m 99% positive Match Boy was there too. Because that’s how it is in Austin.

So in the end, Match.mom won out. Because she is more discerning about what I'm looking for shallower. 

No comments:

Post a Comment