Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Guide to Germeny

This is an actual PowerPoint slide used at our quarterly
internal strategy meeting we had this week. Why yes,
I am holding a candy cane in that picture... 
Two days before I left town for Austin, my manager scheduled a late afternoon meeting with me. Nothing unusual, until she wanted to meet in the president’s office to sit down at his table and chairs. Door shut. Uh oh.

“So how would you feel about 'moving' to Berlin?”

Um excuse me?

A month or two before, a client who I work closely with, asked how I would feel about coming to Europe this summer to help out on-site. Duh. Summer vacation.

I never thought anything would come from it, definitely never imagining words like “three to six months” and “Germany” would be thrown around about my future. But I’ve been antsy for a new adventure, enough so that multiple friends expressed concern that upon my return from Austin I would announce my plans to move back there.

Well I totally tricked you. Bwahah. Berlin, baby.

I’ve always harbored a secret, dormant dream to live abroad. Having only "backpacked" around Europe for a month, I wished to have an opportunity to experience it fo’ real. And in terms of life timing, it’s great. I have no real responsibilities like a dog (someday!). And there’s no boyfriend to miss (someday?). 

But of course I had some initial hesitations:

  •           My friends! I love my friends!
  •           It’s summer! I love summer! How can I miss all the fun!
  •           How will I work out? I’m going to be so fat! Like if I were on the Bachelor!
  •           I don’t speak any German!
  •           The blog! What will I call it?

Then it came to me. Guide to Ger-MEN-y. Done. Phew. Everything’s under control.

I kept the secret for a whole day and a half until I had both of my parents’ in-person attention. I was positive my mother’s reaction was going to be “OMG YOU’RE GOING TO FALL IN LOVE WITH A GERMAN AND NEVER COME HOME” because that is her favorite fear about me living in New York. Both, however, were incredibly supportive, recognizing it’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Plus when you start off with that "Mom, dad, I have something to tell you" Talk and it doesn't end with "You're going to be grandparents" they have to be happy.

But as easy as it is to say yes to the offer, now I’m just trying to stave off any major panic attacks or nervous breakdowns. The good thing is that I’m not going until late July/early August (although, new fear: OMG I’ll be alone on my birthday, wahhhh) so at least I have the next two months to soak up summer in the city. Can't wait for Big Apple BBQ Fest, Governors Ball music fest with Girl Talk, outdoor movies in the park, beach weekends, summer intern cougarbait, and all day patio brunches. You know, if it every stops raining, that is.

The only sad point is that The BFF and I will be like two ships passing in the night since she'll be returning from Lebanon days after I leave. Although it's exciting we’ll both be embarking on our own solo journeys (first time ever), it also makes me teary that I won't see her for months. Who will tell me my jokes aren’t funny? Who will keep me company in high level discussions about reality TV? 

Luckily the good news is we found someone to take her room in mid-June. We met her last Friday and both immediately really liked her. (The BFF’s opinion was the only one that counted because I usually like most people when I meet them in these situations, including our former terrible roommates whereas she’s more discerning.) While no one can replace The BFF, I am excited to have a new friend.

Speaking of friends, now is your window to come visit me before I leave. Or in Germany. Take yo' pick. Either way, I will be the one wearing lederhosen.

No comments:

Post a Comment