Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I Love Technology

I mentioned yesterday about how I've had a second run-in with a random guy I met years ago. He walked by me and The BFF, did a double-back and came right up to us, armed with our names and memory of the night we met. Impressive.

It must have been almost two years ago, one of those nights where you figure I am young, why the hell not go out on a school night, and end up finding yourself in the most ridiculous adventure ever. That specific adventure, in this instance, was befriending two Foreign FJOs (normally a red flag!) at Bagatelle, being invited downstairs to the "secret" bar followed by another "secret" passage to Kiss & Fly. (Note: I was going to link to the club's website, but it's really the worst thing ever. Unless you're into lesbian butterfly cartoons, no I'm not joking, watch at your own risk.)

Why am I smirking so awkwardly?
Seriously, what is wrong with my face?
He's kinda cute, though, right?
Anyway, where was I? Oh, so if there is one thing I love, it's going to Exclusive Places. And free drinks. And cute (European) guys. Triple crown of fun.

But that alone wouldn't have necessarily solidified his memory of me or mine of him. What makes me remember not forget him is the fact we're Facebook friends. Every once in awhile his name will roll down my newsfeed and I always ask myself who the hell is Maximilian? 

Unlike so many times when you cross paths with someone and they float away forever, Max and I are tethered together by technology. He's by no means in my life, but sort of like adjacent to it.

And that's part of why I've come to appreciate Facebook as a visual Rolodex of friends, people I've met during the past few years, and those with whom I once shared high school Spanish.

I totally get if maybe you're one of those people who constantly whittles down their number of friends. I understand keepin' it real on the Internet. (The BFF has great criteria for doing this, with my favorite factor "being white trash".)

But considering how lazy I can be about networking, social media has made it easy to expand your sphere. And if there's anything I love more than exclusive places/free drinks/cute (European) guys, it's food convenience. And you never know when you'll need a random Austrian guy to hit up for European travel tips. Thanks in advance, Max.

P dot S I: Here's a great blog dedicated to the subject of Techromance.

P dot S II: Speaking of technologoical love, the most "awkward turtle" line from a college rush party courtesy of my friend Keaton (who is coming to visit in one day!)..."I love technology."

Bwahahahahaha.

1 comment:

  1. Hey darlin, blog is looking great! Saw my shout out on here and appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete