Monday, October 31, 2011

I Heart Halloween: 2011 Edition

There seem to be two types of Fall People: "Halloween people" or "Thanksgiving people." Don't get me wrong, I am all for November gluttony, but ever since I was little, the last day of October has held a special place in my heart. This Halloween obsession (documented here, here and here) apparently knows no geographic *or age* constraints, and luckily for me, the Germans have begun embracing the holiday so I was not alone.

Even better for me, a particular German was more than happy to participate. Or, at least seemed to be. I am pretty sure he didn't know what he was getting himself into, and by the time he realized it, he was too far gone.

Reasons why my Berlin Halloween was better than yours (because it IS a competition):

  • There was a city-wide treasure pumpkin hunt that spanned four stores and included The German chasing down strangers like a maniac to ask them where they purchased their orange carving prize. Of course they'd bought the last one. Luckily, a stop or two later, we ended up spotting one in a restaurant's fall decoration display! Hooray, they were willing to part with it, and on top of that Halloween miracle, the woman even gave us free ice-cream sandwiches. Life lesson: You are never too old to Trick or Treat. 
  • The German lost his pumpkin-carving V card. He watched a professional video ahead of time to know what he was doing. Like they all do. Bwahah. He was very serious about the whole process. Like "I brought this electric power tool to use; do you have the special lemon juice mixture I requested to prevent molding?" serious. Oh, and apparently I have been carving pumpkins incorrectly all of my life. Allegedly you're supposed to carve first, scoop second. What, did you know this?? And you also are supposed to go in through the back, not the top. "The stem has important nutrients so you need to keep in tact." Why do you know this? Luckily this Pumpkin Prodigy found inspiration in my only scrap paper - these adorable French Bulldog note pads (gifted by Ashley, the most amazing gift giver of all time) - so his skills didn't go to waste on something boring.  
  • We went to a spooky party. Germans love the ghoul and the gore way more than I do, but hey, I will take what I can get. And if you want to decorate your flat and invite me over to celebrate my favorite holiday, who am I to stand in your way. I might even come bearing jello shots, because, I am a classy American after all.
  • I had the opportunity to scream "IT'S ME, MAAAAAAAAAAARIO" at strangers, which is one of my favorite Halloween traditions ever. Or favorite things in general. I was a little nervous we might be the only people at da' club dressed up, but boy was I wrong. In addition to everybody's favorite brothers, I saw plenty of Heath Ledger (RIP) Jokers, Slutty Nurses, and pirates. It was like 2008 all over again! 
  • I hosted a brunch that was attended by a child! A real life child to appreciate my spiderweb decorations (special thanks to The German for putting them up) and kitschy Halloween goodies (special thanks to my mom for dragging them across the Atlantic). And everyone at all my food so I wasn't forced to later. Win-win.
  • It didn't snow in Berlin, suckers.
Here are a few pics:


Such attention to detail. I love it.

I am technically a spider but really just look like a Slutty Goth, which suits me pretty well, huh?
I Spy: A great use of Halloween stickers and my vintage Troll doll from childhood. 
The inspiration.

Even though I would prefer a real Frenchie (to dress up like a Frenchman), this is the next best thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment