Sunday, October 2, 2011

Guide to the Perfect Long Weekend

Ever find yourself sneak-attacked by a long weekend with only a few set plans? Probably not, and as you can imagine, Planny McPlannerson was not super psyched about this development. (Mostly because my mom and grandma are coming NEXT weekend. Oh well.) Mid-last week I found out that Monday was a national holiday. Germany Reunification Day, "the German Fourth of July," and from the fireworks I watched from my window last night, I can attest to that. Having missed out on live fireworks in Austin this past 4th due to the burn ban, I was pretty excited (after I got over the initial fear that there was some sort of rampant shooting spree going on in my neighborhood).

Anyway, on the off chance you face this in your own life, here are a few suggested activities:

1. Play dress-up. I did this on Friday night when I had dinner with my American friend who I met for the first time when Ashley was in town. When I initially packed in New York, I had the wherewithal to separate my clothes in giant vacuum bags by season, and now when I dig into a new bag it's like opening a present! That's not totally true, but I was psyched to find a ruffly J.Crew skirt I forgot about, and a sweater I never realized kind of went with it. On Saturday I took advantage of the warm weather and put an outfit to wear while I ran errands. Including this little foray into scarf head-band wearing. Not so sure I can pull it off, but what better things do I have to do?!

I might look like a cross between a trendy pirate and Rosie the Reveter.

2. Buy your own love. I was on the hunt for guest towels (so exciting, I know!), when I indulged my window shopping and went into an Italian shoe store having a massive sale. I've been lusting over a pair of Euro leather boots for awhile, and I fell in love with these bad boys. Considering the amazing deal I got on them, I never would have forgiven myself for passing them up. And we couldn't be happier together.
FYI: They are not shiny. And you are really missing out by not being able to smell the leather.

3. Have an emotional breakdown in a public place. There are articles (and a How I Met Your Mother episode) about how New Yorkers inevitably cry in public (I have at least twice), but I don't think it would be acceptable to do in Berlin. Especially not in an expansive department store in the heart of Alexanderplatz while roaming around staring longingly at plastic, mass-manufactured Halloween decorations. Costumes, goblets, fake spider webs. America at its finest. Legitimately homesick for the first time, I choked back tears (..also I might be PMSing) as I debated buying an overpriced, glitter-covered styrofoam pumpkin. After feeling the weight of the aforementioned purchase on my arm, I pulled myself together enough to get outside where I could put on my sunglasses and sniffle like a civilized person.

4. Embrace your inner-Martha. Have you ever read blog posts that are all "Oh, just go outside and collect some beautiful fallen leaves to create a centerpiece with!" and you're like oh my God what loser has the time and energy to do that? Well friends, I have become that loser. And I'm super excited about it! After the incident above, I realized buying real pumpkins from the supermarket was a way better use of my money. German pumpkins are like a weird love child between a sugar pumpkin and a squash, but I'm embracing it. They also sell "Halloween Kuerbis" aka traditional pumpkins, which I plan on buying after The German comes home and can help me carry some big ones home. He will be rewarded with learning the amazing art of American pumpkin carving, probably one of the greatest gifts I have to offer. While I was domesticating, I also tried a few new Pinterest recipes - research for my upcoming house guests - and have to say the baked chickpeas and the red pepper egg-in-a-hole were a big hit... with myself. 

The start to my masterpiece.

5. Find a new addiction. Because clearly I don't watch enough television, I decided I should get hooked on a new show. People have been loving Parenthood since it started a few years ago, and now I know why. (Plus it is way healthier than when I was devoting hours to learning about the Meth business in Breaking Bad.)


6. Move it. I have been shamefully bad about exercising since I've been here, mostly because after 3 1/2 years of diligently going to the gym I am sick of it. I've loved coming home straight from work to do nothing, but I've reached the point where that has to change. Marshmallow is not an acceptable body type, and to combat this, I've started doing yoga and some Tracy Anderson-esque workouts at home, but cardio has been another story. Then, for some reason on Saturday night around sunset the perfect running route -  along one of the canals passed the train station toward the government buildings in Mitte - popped into my head. It was by far one of the most spectacular views I've seen in Berlin and definitely on the list of places to take my mom and grandma (along with a camera).
7. Make your own happiness. No matter what city I'm in, I'm hard pressed to find something I love more than strolling around soaking up the sunshine, stumbling on outdoor markets, and literally taking time to stop and smell the flowers.




I haven't been able to look at hydrangeas the same since this Madonna video.







Go forth and have a great week.

3 comments:

  1. I am a H-U-G-E fan of your scarf headband. Super super cute :) How did you wrap and tuck it so it wouldn't fall apart? My few futile attempts at the scarf headband have been [as you can guess] frustrating.

    Also- you might really like this little fashion blog:

    http://highheelsandbubblegum.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I attempted it based on this http://pinterest.com/pin/202351547/ but clearly I am not too good at following directions. I think not having a silky scarf helped my cause too... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete