Monday, October 17, 2011

A Real Gem

My plan last evening upon returning home from my Barcelona flight to was to blog about the remainder of my mom and Dolo's Berlin adventures (which included dinner with The German) and our fun weekend in Spain.

That all changed when I walked out of baggage claim to find The German waiting for me. Swoon. I had emailed him before I left letting him know that if he picked me up from the airport he would become my favorite German ever. Apparently this suggestion ruined his surprise plan to fetch me. (I am the worst.) So instead of admitting then that he had already thought of the idea, he did not respond to that portion of the email. I didn't know what to think. Actually, I do know what I thought...he's just as bad as the rest of them. But he's not, he's wonderful, and there he was, dealing with the worst airport ever, just to see me. Sigh.

Anyway, not that the surprise pick-up wasn't great, but the best part of the night was actually this conversation:

Me: So when you are in Florida, I bet people know your family as "The Germans."
Him: Yeah, I bet you are right.
Me: You want to know what Americans say about Germans? Like, what the number one stereotype is?
Him: Yes, tell me.
Me: [laughing] That everyone is obsessed with David Hasselhoff.
Him: [Very serious] Because we are. 

Just more proof that a lot of stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason. He did, however, clarify that the obsession stems from his earlier work and not his current persona. He also made it known that we Americans should be ashamed of ourselves for not loving Looking for Freedom. Something to think about on this
Monday.

Unrelated, but upon searching for pictures of The Hoff for this post, I found this:

I think it's safe to say I can never look at a Shar Pei the same way again. Shudder.

1 comment: