Monday, October 24, 2011

Fall + Castle = Perfection

The weather was crisp this weekend. It had an inspiring lack of humidity that needed to be seized. And, after some self-convincing that we should do something (I had put on eye shadow after all), The German and I took advantage of it while strolling around Mitte looking at The Berlin Lights Festival.  

Berliner Dome Lisa Frank style. 

Halloween! So soon! I can't wait!
The next day, still beautiful weather, he told me he had planned to take me somewhere. But where? He wouldn't say. My only instructions were to dress warmly so we could put the top down on his convertible. Are you crazy? It's six degrees... Celsius. So that is cold, I guess, I mean, it sounds cold.. Anyway, for someone who does not love surprises, it actually beat my expectations when I discovered his secret destination.

Awhile back I had made it known that I should probably see some castles while I'm in Germany. Unfortunately there are none close by, and although it would be fun to make a weekend out of staying at one, let's be honest, I am sort of running out of weekends.

So The German took it upon himself to do a little research, and found the nearby Spandau Zitadelle, a fortress on the outskirts of Berlin. It was perfect.

I mean, there is a MOAT! Although it did lose points for the lack of draw-bridge (could I BE any more high maintenance?)

We learned that the fortress dates back to the 1100s, and has seen a lot of changes since then.
For starters, tons o' different types of hats. I mean helmets. Whatever. 

Not only did we do some learning, we also got to admire the changing colors.
Or maybe that was just me. 
When we were walking up to the tower, a family was coming out. The little boy was crying, "Don't ever make me go up there again!!!" (As translated by The German). Kidz, lol.  
The German locking me up in the tower. Oh no! At least I didn' cry about it like that baby.
Okay fine you can come out. Oh good, I didn't think I was up for the
whole Rapunzel thing, I did just get a hair cut after all. 
Stairs: They don't make 'em like the used to.
View from the top.
We stopped in the medieval themed restaurant for a coffee. Hopefully we can go back for a full feast.
If only to have another opportunity to act like a child.
Just practicing in case I ever need to pose for a statue or something.

This guy looks stoned.
HAHAHAH
"I've completely lost my mind!"
Following our stroll around the grounds and museum, The German found a perfect restaurant for a late-afternoon lunch. Sinatra playing in the background, a view of the water, and one of the most delicious meals I've had in a long time. All in all, a perfect kidnapping (even though it was lacking Polish chainsaws). Thank you!

I feel awkward snapping photos of food in restaurants, but not of adorable little table plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment