Thursday, October 27, 2011

And You May Ask Yourself, Well, How Did I Get Here?

This time next week I will fly to Texas for my friend Lauren's nuptials, in which I will play a very important role as a member of her Best Friends of Honor Party. [Woo Girl moment.]

And, I'm not totally sure why, but for some reason I keep having flashbacks to three and a half years ago when I made the trek to Dallas from New York (technically Philly because saving $100 on that flight was the only way I could afford to go) to witness the first of my college friends Hallie walk down the aisle.

At the time it was all completely foreign. Not just the wedding, but the entire idea of stability. Of being a real person and vowing to be a real person with another real person for the rest of your real person life. But I have no clue how to do that! Clearly a reason why I was just a guest at the (awesome) party and not the one making any promises. 

Anyway, a lot has changed since then. For instance, instead of worrying about surviving the night stranded in the (ghetto) Philadelphia Amtrak station, on this journey I'm mainly concerned about moderating my complimentary champagne consumption during the course of the three connecting flights. [Humble-business-class-brag-combined-with-logistical-complaint right there for ya.]

But to think back to June of 2008 when I was merely a glimmer in my parents' eye. Oh wait, no, I was like 22 and supporting myself (barely). Whatever, I was a child. Now at the ripe old age of 26, I am finally starting to feel like a adult. (Although truth to be told, I had a moment last week where, for the life of me, I couldn't remember how old I was, "maybe I'm 25? Does that sound right? Yeah, that sounds good.") See what I mean, adults are always forgetting things and/or lying about their age! I fit right in!

The thing about this wedding, though, is that Lauren was, at one point, part of my Non-Real Person Manhattan World. She was like me! And then, all of a sudden like a lightening bolt, last week I found myself perusing her wedding registry. (I mean, when there is an option to buy a batter syringe you always go for it, right? And don't even get me started about this wheeled-contraption that minces garlic. Do you know about this? Is this the kind of thing you only find out about when you aren't too busy spending your time "trying to meet someone special"? Because I would be fine skipping ahead to this stage.)

The point is, even though I have no idea how I ended up here, in certain ways I have matured. Maybe not Fully Stocked Pantry mature, but I am getting there. (I own parchment paper, enough said.) And while hopefully the chances of me having to ask strangers to make sure no one messes with me while I pass out on a wooden bench from post-wedding exhaustion are very slim, if it happens I will at least be wearing free slippers while doing so and that makes everything better. And much more adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment