Wednesday, September 28, 2011

All I Have to Offer You

I warn you now, it's not much. Following an early Saturday morning brunch with my friend Uli (who hosted the party where I met The German), the majority of my time since then has been work-focused.

After being alerted to the fact that my Amsterdam hotel rejected all of the meeting materials shipped to it by my US colleagues ahead of my arrival (don't even get me started), I spent the rest of Saturday running around Berlin trying to track down office supplies (not easy) and making copies. Then I woke up early Sunday to fly to Amsterdam and spent the next 24 hours in and out of meeting rooms. I was in charge of logistics (not my normal role) and to be honest the pressure was killing me. I am the lame kind of person who dreams about work (according to Ashley I was sleep talking to my boss in my "professional voice") and this conference infected my slumber almost every night for the past week.

Luckily everything went smoothly thanks to the beyond-accommodating nature of the Dutch staff who helped me meet a few of the Devil Wears Prada demands placed on me while I was there. I have not had to be that charming and effusively appreciative in a long time but it was worth it since everyone seems happy with me.

Unfortunately I was too overwhelmed in the moment to take any pictures, but Amsterdam is actually an incredibly beautiful city. Although it has an, um, different reputation (whores! drugs!), the Dutch architecture is so charming. So yeah, google some pictures if you want to know what I mean. Worst.blogger.ever.

And that brings us to where I am now: Completely worthless on my couch. I just cannot motivate myself to make an effort to be social this week. Also I have a new addiction. Everyone got on the Pinterest train months ago, but I held out. What was I thinking? It is amazing. If you want to see what kinds of disallusions I have about my future, feel free to check out my boards. I deserve your judgment, it is getting out of hand.

What else, what else can I offer you? Oh I've been doing some online shopping and shipping the packages to my parents' house so my mom can sherpa the goods across the Atlantic to me. Genius! Hope she didn't plan on wasting suitcase space on her own clothes! Today J.Crew announced an extra 30% off on sale (hands down the greatest time to shop J.Crew) and I got this jacket, this tortoise bracelet, this scarf in saddle and a red leather gold-studded belt. Get them too! We'll be twins!

Okay fine, that's enough, I'll leave you alone. If anyone needs me, I'll be decorating my imaginary bathroom and planning parties with the most creative appetizers ever.

1 comment: