Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Ashley Comes to Berlin

There was a point in time where my friend Ashley and I literally spent almost all our waking time together between work (which included marathon stream of consciousness gchat sessions) and antigravity yoga classes at the gym. Since then, I got a new job and she moved to Philadelphia for grad school, depleting our quality (and not so quality) time together everyday. C'est la vie. Even though we don't see each other nearly as often as we would like, whenever we do we jump right back into it.

Hence I was beyond excited when I found out she would be able to visit. Like 'can't sleep before Christmas' excited. As much as I have loved being in Berlin and although I have met plenty of cool people here, it's not the same. I needed a buddy to pal around with, someone who really understands me.

Traveling thousands of miles to fetch her postcard: Efficiency.


The 'where is our food' solo shot.
One thing I have missed from my New York routine is my social eating. Here I tend to cook with friends, and the idea of going to a restaurant by myself is one of the least appealing activities ever. Why would I sit awkwardly in silence (or God forbid talk to strangers - I am not a particularly friendly Southerner) when I could be shoveling pasta on my couch while catching up on the Kardashian Konsortium's hijinx? In my sweatpants. So thank goodness Ashley, my eating soulmate, was coming to be my date and get me out of my apartment.

Since I love to plan, I had a list of places built into our itinerary. She arrived on Tuesday and that night we tried a local restaurant Noto I had read about in New York magazine's guide to Berlin. Cute place around the corner from me with farm-to-table type fare. We split risotto with asparagus, eggplant parmigiana and veal with mashed potatoes. Lecker! (That means tasty. I only learn the important words.) From there we had a beer while strolling around my neighborhood under the full moon, admiring the Berlin Dome as well as the local prostitutes (who are always texting, which in my opinion is not über professional). You see all the sights with me; I should probably be tour guide.

The following evening we met The German at Prater Biergarten for some traditional cuisine of fried meat and potatoes. Dainty! After that, we stopped by a bar I keep hearing about called Weinerei where you pay two euro for the glass itself and then whatever you want for the wine. We sat out on the patio, and the night ended with me deciding it was necessary to take home a loose piece of cobblestone that I intend to tell people came from the Berlin wall. (Crap, I ruined my lie already!) Ashley had a glowing report, but she likes everyone so that was no real test. If only The BFF were here to unleash her judgment-filled interrogation on him, then we would get some real feedback.


Thursday we geared up for a night of unbridled tourism and went to dinner in the rotating restaurant at the top of the Fernsehturm TV tower overlooking the city. We were joined by another new-to-Berlin American who randomly found the blog through a comment I left on Cup of Joe. Hooray Internet for bringing me a new friend! The dinner itself was very early-90s movie romantic with a soft jazz bass and keyboard duo playing in the background. At every turn (the restaurant rotated rather aggressively in my opinion), I kept picturing Tom Hanks professing his love to Meg Ryan while little Jonah watches with delight. (Note to self: Write a screen play for the sequel titled Restless in Berlin. Maybe grown-up Jonah travels the world for love this time around! Guaranteed hit.)

Where the magic happens.
Can't beat the view.
My hair is out of control.
The next evening we headed to Prague. Ashley, like a good little housewife, packed us sandwiches and we met at the train station after I got off work. Because I took approximately 10000 pictures, I will save that for another post. I need to ration my adventures, people, I hope you understand.

So as you can see, I did not lie about our food-focused week together. It was just as fantastic (and my pants are just as tight) as I had imagined. Thanks again for coming, Ash!

What a doll.

No comments:

Post a Comment