Monday, September 12, 2011

This Time of Year

Fall has always been my favorite season. There is something about the reprieve from the summer heat combined with the pre-winter hibernation energy that leaves me with a sense of urgency to make the most of it. Not to mention so many of my favorite things take place during these months: Football and Halloween, pumpkin-spiced anything and the changing colors on trees. So romantic. Sort of. Sigh.

Before I even left for Berlin, I knew it was going to be hard to be away during this time of year, facing the homesick-enducing status updates about Austin City Limits, the Hunt, and Longhorn football, specifically the OU game. I already feel left out, and it's only the second week in September!

But just when I was starting to feel sorry for myself (cabin fever can do that to you), I got an email from fellow American expat blogger Jenni about coming to visit her in Dresden. Based on some blog stalking, I have been dying to meet her, but my first instinct was to look at my calendar and think now when am I going to fit that in?

One of my best friends Ashley, who this time last year I was bringing home to Austin for a proper introduction to live music and barbecue, arrives tomorrow and this weekend we're headed to Prague. The following weekend I'll be in Amsterdam (I should add the disclaimer it is for a work conference). Two weeks later my mom and Dolo will be in town and then we're off for to Barcelona. I want to squeeze in Paris and maybe Warsaw, and don't even get me started about how I need to schedule in some castle viewing. I am in Germany after all!

So even if McCoy/Shipley 2.0 (or is this considered 3.0?) have an amazing season, Kanye kills it at ACL, and it is the most legendary Halloween ever, I think I'm still doing pretty well for myself.

Plus, I heard a rumor that the leaves change color here too, and I'm holding out hope that I can sniff out some artificial pumpkin flavoring for my coffee. Fingers crossed and happy fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment