Saturday, March 12, 2011

What are the Odds?

I'm approaching 1300 Facebook friends. Yeah, I'm one of those girls. If you're thinking, "Rachel, you sit around with The BFF, there's no way you actually have that many friends," then your right. I have like three.

Instead I think they should rename it Facebook "Acquaintances and Other Randoms Whose Paths I Once Crossed." And they should probably also add back in categories, but make them more like this:


You see, I'm of the "more the merrier" mindset when it comes to my social network because you never really know who you should keep on your buddy list for future stalking. So and So from Highschool got knocked up! Omg. Did you see Whatsherface's wedding? So tacky.

It's also a good way to see mutual connections with new people you meet. For instance, last weekend at the Standard beer garden, my cute friend M had some guys meet up with us - including the dreamiest guy I've met in forever. We chatted, he left with his friends, I somehow managed to remember his name. (It's very similar to the swoon-worthy character's in Sixteen Candles).

The next day on Facebook, The BFF and I stalkerishly looked him up, and because we had two mutual friends, he rose to the top. I love creepy Facebook metrics. (Total sidebar, but can anyone explain to me which friends are shown on your page's sidebar? Does it have anything to do with stalking?)

Anyway, since The BFF and I met when we were like 11 years old, we have a tendency to regress in our maturity pretty much all the time. So I should have known better when she asked to "look at his photos" on the couch. Oh I just asked him to be your friend.

Okay, whatever, a little aggressive but no worries. Later she "Liked" that we were friends. I die.

Anyway, I'm going to have to backtrack - my least favorite thing ever - in order to finish this really important story so please forgive me.

The two mutual friends I shared with The Cutest Guy Ever were two other attractive guys I randomly met at bars under somewhat similar circumstances. As The BFF told me, "Wow you really have met all the guys in this city." Ugh.

So anyway, a few days later at the gym - mind you all of my cute workout clothes are at my beloved laundry place so I'm rockin' the cropped-pant-lesbian style ensemb - I started stretching on the mat next to a cute guy who I've repeatedly seen in the last few weeks. It's been awhile since I've had any gym eye candy on my same schedule, so was happy for the gym'spiration.

All of a sudden mid-hamstring stretch he interrupted me to ask if I went to UT. Why yes I did, did you? No, but we met at a Longhorn basketball watching party last fall. OMG he's the mutual friend! I didn't even recognize him!

Small world. 

Also small world because this guy is just as awkward and over-sharey as me and we had a lovely talk about our workout schedules, jobs, and taking public transportation to Meatpacking because we both live near the L train.

And then two days later, I randomly ran into him on the street! Another awkward convo ensued about our weekend workout plans. Since it was nice weather, he was going to run outside. Good to know, otherwise I would have been concerned about his lack of commitment. 

I know what you're thinking, and you're right, he probably is my soul mate.

(Or at least a new incentive to keep up my gym routine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment