Thursday, March 3, 2011

I See You Up There

Have you seen that Virgin Mobile commercial with the crazy girl in the tree talking about how her cheap data plan totally enables her CGS?


Did you think of me when you saw it? Because my friend Lauren did. (Although she said it was because she thought I would think it was funny, not because I am that insane. Allegedly.)

And I do think it's funny. And frightening. But mostly funny. Because the depiction is (sadly) not totally off base.

Girls can be that crayzay. And having the ability at our nimble lil fingers to "research" our newest crush makes it hard not to. I mean, back in the day, my mom and her college roommate (my fairy godmother!) had to actually look up my dad in the phone book and physically stalk him. (Turned out he lived directly across the street, how convenient!) But still, I'm exhausted just thinking about how much effort that must have been!

The thing I don't like about these commercials, though, is the portrayal that only girls have harnessed the power of digital sleuthing.

Spoiler alert: That's false.

I have proof that guys are no better than us. Guys I've gone out with read this blog (hello!) and guys I've dated look through my Facebook albums. How do I know? Sitemeter. And phrases like "Your brother's wedding looked fun." I mean, I know I don't remember everything about the night of the wedding, yet I'm fairly certain The Russian was not in attendance.

But I'm not passing judgment. The content I share online is in the public domain for just that reason. I want you to know and/or care about what I'm up to. Because it's really interesting. Or entertaining. Or makes you feel better about your own life.

Just please don't sit in a tree outside my window while you catch up on my Tweets. K thanks.

(Unless of course while you're in the tree you're also trying to conduct Round Two of Science Experiment Night. Because I'm still holding out hope it might actually work. Even though cell phones are so cheap now, apparently.)

No comments:

Post a Comment