Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Something is Up

Replace all of this sweet girl's happiness and
optimism with freezing bitterness and you'd get me.
It started hailing on my way home from the gym tonight. Yeah, you're right, it is the fourth day of spring. Needless to say I was not a happy camper. And there's more to come in the forecast. Ahh!

Mother Nature is such a little bitch, right? From being 70 degrees last Friday to snow today, you'd think that slut started hooking up with Jack Frost! I hate her.

Okay, I clearly have some weather personification issues, but it's just hard for me to direct my disdain. It is not normal for it to be this cold in March!

And it doesn't make sense to me.

Sort of like how my new found male attention all of a sudden doesn't seem normal either. I swear there's something in the air. 

I have no idea where it came from, but in the past few weeks I've had the luck. And we're not just talking about gangs of high school kids hitting on me at McDonalds while I was getting a chocolate sundae, we're talking about being asked on dates. Yeah, you heard me.

Case in point, tonight I was supposed to go out with a guy I met a few weeks ago at da' club. Looked freakishly like an ex, but he was from Houston so originally I thought why not. (River Oaks to be exact, yes IAAS(nob).  But I was just too exhausted from my date last night so I ended up cancelling. Your world has just been rocked, right?

I mean, it's not that impressive really, it's just that I've been on a dating drought sabbatical for awhile. And it's been a-w-e-s-o-m-e. Instead of having to fake being charming over dinner with a stranger, I've been sharing awkwardly hilarious stories with great girls. And it can be hard to make friends in the city so I feel like this has been a way better use of my time. (Especially considering a friend who works in advertising hooked us up with free razor blades last week. That's like handing out gold bars!)

It hasn't just been being busy with other things that's kept me away from real dates though. There's also the small fact that for someone who blogs about dating, I have actually developed a bad case of dating agoraphobia. All the effort just seems like, well, effort. You know, being nice and charming on a Tuesday is a lot harder than watching Bethenny Ever After, I'm just saying.

But here's the really crazy part of this long drawn out story - even more insane than getting asked out by multiple guys - I have been on two dates with one guy in the last three days. And both last more than four hours.

I don't really know how it happened either. (Or was aware that I'm capable of spending that much time with anyone but The BFF.)

We met Friday, we texted Saturday, we brunched Sunday. We talked about music, he mentioned the Allman Brothers' concert at the Beacon, I expressed interest. (I'm an Austin hippie at heart, what can I say?)

He bought tickets Monday, we had a great second date Tuesday.

Of course the fear of leaving the house much less going to a concert - a pretty big test of compatibility in my book - was mildly crippling. But like I said, it was great. We were both equally into it, which is important. We laughed at the hilarious characters, aka 60 year old dads, pirate-clad gays, and wasted frat boys, that surrounded us. We danced (jam band classic rock dancing is my specialty, I'm not even joking). We kissed.

(Our first kiss was actually at the end of the first date in front of Bro J's Union Square where I was meeting my friends to watch that horrible Texas game on Sunday. We were in front of the window where apparently my friends were seated directly behind. Of course. Then after he left - to be a real person and do work - I couldn't get the restaurant door open. Because I'm a moron. I'm pretty sure they're still laughing at me.)

So yeah, we'll see what happens. All I can ask is that the weather clears up...and maybe a third date.

No comments:

Post a Comment