Sunday, March 20, 2011

Adult Spring Break Should Be Mandatory

I've been so freaking ready for Spring. Daylight Savings was a tease. Friday's 70 degree weather was cruel. But now, today, it's officially here. So please warm the hell up. Thanks.

We're currently in that awkward transition period where people are dressed in varying degrees across the outerwear spectrum. Some still bundled up while others are walking around practically naked. (Practically naked, in this case, means without tights. Gasp.)

Of course you know me, the eternal optimist, I'm embracing the future. And finally, after months of hibernation, lethargy, and down jackets, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thank God.

But it's not just the weather. It's the spring mindset I've been craving. The break. That mandatory breather after a long winter; a time to escape the real world and let loose. I could have really used that this year.

The city has been full of Spring Breakers for the past few weeks. And I'm jealous. Especially because spring break is something that I've missed since entering the "real world." And when my tourist radar starts lighting up at times like these, it makes it worse.

(Side note: The BFF and I took our first trip to NYC together during our junior year of high school spring break. Even though it was so cold, we fell in love. Awww.)

This is prob how I'd feel if I went on
actual spring break.
But this year I've been a part of it. Spring break by proxy. Last week I went to dinner with my old yearbook advisor who was in town with a group of students. It was so great to catch up but wow did I feel so old.

While I'm always up for a throw back to the past, I wouldn't choose high school to relive. I mean, it was great and all, but college still reigns supreme.

So when a family friend reached out about her friend's daughter - a sophomore at UT - needing a place to stay for a night, I acquiesced. (Granted, if you know me, you might have guessed that after this initial agreement for karmic brownie points, I of course immediately began to whine about having to be nice to someone.)

Luckily, though, from the second we met, we hit it off. Girlfriend's got a girl crush. K is super cute, we have a ton of stuff in common, and we speak the same language. "My best friend and I go out to HH - hottie hunt."

OMG ME TOO. (Well, before when The BFF was still single.) 

K had spent the rest of the week with her family, but Friday night she met up with me and my friends. We went out. Throwback to college style. Stay out till 5 in the morning style. Feel like death all day Saturday style.

K was a great wingwoman, we both met some cute guys (even though I was wearing my gay circus ring leader jacket, proving The BFF's hypothesis that it was total man repellent wrong), and I'm so excited for a new friend.

Even though I haven't left the island, it's still been a great spring break. Now when can I bust out my sundresses and sandals?

3 comments:

  1. my neighbors laid in the sun in BIKINIS this weekend. I was wearing a carhartt jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, yes it should. everyone deserves a spring break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my last spring break ever and I had to spend it studying for board exams... sigh.

    I'm totally in for mandatory adult spring break :)

    ReplyDelete