Sunday, October 3, 2010

It's Just Like Serendipity

So the other day when I blogged about that Columbia happy hour I lied. Big shock. If you're new to the blog, here's a recap: I sometimes lie and I'm super fickle when it comes to soulmates!

Here's a combo meal of these two scenarios:

I actually did meet a guy who was probably my soulmate at this happy hour. I just didn't feel like tarnishing the glory of my potential double wedding post. But at this point I'm pretty sure that might not be happening based on my total awkwardness with The BFF's twin. Apparently I was being "really entertaining." I'm pretty sure guys don't want to fix up their gorgeous mirror images with a girl who is "really entertaining." Sigh.

So now I feel like I should tell you about the cutest guy ever who was probably my soulmate but now I'll never know. (I'll find a shorter nickname somewhere along the way.)

I saw him at the party while we were talking to a guy who had a girlfriend but you would not have assumed that based on his actions. He was playing wingman for us, introducing us to his friends. I spotted My Soulmate across the patio. Tall, adorably curly hair, great smile. Swoon. Before we could make our way to where he was, he disappeared. Oh well.

I saw him walk by us a little while later, yanked Girlfriend Guy, and made a comment about him.

And that's when he utilized the great intro line: "Have you met So and So?" In How I Met Your Mother, Barney does the "Have you met Ted?" routine smashingly.

My Soumate introduced himself but quickly rushed off. Oh well.

But then - dun dun dunnnn! - he returned. "Sorry, Rachel, I had to find my friend."

Me and My Soulmate's movie poster
would be even better than this.
He came back for me! And he knew my name! Marriage here we come!

We ended up talking for maybe half an hour. (That guestimate is totally arbitrary because you have no real concept of time when you're falling in love, obv.) Turns out he was actually a lawyer, whose friend had been bugging him to come to one of these happy hours.

Anyway, short story, he was great. Like really easy to talk to, so super cute, great. Even The BFF sensed a spark between us. Swoon.

After awhile he went to go find his friend and we talked about meeting up at the afterparty. No digits were exchanged. Oh well.

And then we never saw him again.

The sad, "I refuse to believe He's Just Not That Me" part wonders if he's devastated that he missed his chance with me. Tha'ts probably accurate...

I've told this story to The BFF, my mom, and my grandma Dolo. All three said the same thing, "Serendipity." Otherwise known as one of my all-time favorite romantic comedies.

First, I just really love John Cusack. Second, I love John Corbitt aka Lars the Kenny G-copying gem of a character. Third, I love the way New York is shot in that movie. And fourth, that movie gives you hope that you might have that initial spark strong enough with a person that you end up getting a second chance to see where things go.

Cross your fingers that is my destiny. Well, for this week at least, I need some entertainment to spice things up. And let's hope I'm not supposed to be stopping at every used book store looking for his name and phone number written on the inside cover of a Gabriel Garcia Marquez novel.

Because that seems like it would be a huge pain in the ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment