Monday, December 21, 2009

My Secret Sunday Ritual

I have a secret confession. Well, apparently I have a lot of secret confessions. Like how I just admitted to having eaten an entire plate of cookies solo. In one day. Fml.

This other secret confession might be more embarrassing, though, but I find comfort that I'm not alone. I have gotten confirmation from at least a few other friends who do it too.

What is it we're doing? Reading the New York Times' Vows section. Every week.

Each Sunday I look forward to finding out how the feature story couple met and how their relationship turned into The One. As I've mentioned before, marriage as far as I'm concerned is still a fairly foreign concept.  These stories - modern day romances, most without the fairy tale trimmings - help me have a more realistic understanding about finding love. Especially in the city.

The majority of the feature stories present the obstacles, the extended timelines and the exhausting effort necessary to make these relationships work. While the couple has finally reached the destination together, most stories document the real-world work needed for this conclusion. This week's was no exception.

In addition to the feature story, sometimes you'll find celebrity nuptials, hilariously self-important fodder for Gawker's Altarcations - a face-off to score the Sunday Nuptial winner - as well as occasional stories that just make you say "Awwww."

Or be jealous, in the case of a couple from this week's edition, who are both Production Assistants working in New York and had Will Ferrell make a cameo in their photo. And in their video.



So next Sunday, when you're dreading going to work on Monday and feeling sorry about your own love life, check out the Vows section. I promise I won't tell anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment