Thursday, October 1, 2009

You Went to Harvard, You Should Know Better

I am not against online dating. I actually think I would be better at it, maybe? I’m more articulate written than I am in person because I am able to self-edit. “OMG this is her edited? Dear Lord she must be so awkward in real life,” is what I imagine those of you who don’t know me are probably saying to yourselves right now... So true.

In addition to how I am able to present myself, I also like the fact that you can basically choose exactly what you’re looking for. You immediately know if a guy has sucky taste in music, is not photogenic, has no sense of humor, etc. Time saver. I like. Although between my skepticism of who I would meet and my crippling laziness I still have yet to actually try it.

But this isn't really about online dating.

This is about how Facebook is not a dating tool! In my opinion (IMO) it is socially unacceptable to “friend” someone you do not know because you think he/she is good looking.

Normally if some Random friends me – for example:

Some guy who lives in OKLAHOMA (the mortal enemy state of Longhorns – what time is it?? OU still sucks … and will in two weeks!), who is MARRIED and ultra-conservative.

Decline.

There is no reason we need to be friends.

Or, off topic, I don't need to be friends with a guy from high school’s baby who has a profile and has asked me to be his friend approximately 100 times. No, baby, I don’t want some toddler I have not or will not ever meet to be my friend. I am sorry. I think it’s weird for babies to be on Facebook.

Anyway, unfortunately one Random has recently slipped by my screening process. He was from New York, we had a friend in common and his generic name looked familiar. Accept.

Now I’ve received two messages in two days:

“Hey there where in the city are you! Can o text you?”

“Hey there sexy, thanks for the add! Great profile. Where in the city arey ou?”


As much as I appreciate his geographic curiosity as it is clearly of high importance to me, Scott, “Brand New to Face Book!” as his personal tagline boasts, is going to need to learn a thing or two about FB social guidelines.

His behavior is not acceptable. Nor is the fact that of his 270 friends, 90% of them are attractive females from across the country.

Facebook friending is not like collecting baseball cards. You can’t just go around creating an anthology of pretty girls. That is muy creepy.

Ugh Facebook just became the new MySpace.

And he went to Harvard. Seriously? Did Zuckerberg not teach him anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment