Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Wah Wah

So let’s be honest, I’m in a rut. I’m sorry, did you not get the Evite to my pity party? It’s themed (duh I love theme parties) - Debbie Downer.

I won't get into most of my lame issues, but basically trying to determine what will make me happy when the universe – or really the recession - is making it borderline impossible is throwing my life out of whack. But I am in no mood to wax poetic about depressing recession trends. That’s what The New York Times is for.

Anyway, as I attempt to determine What I Want to be When I Grow Up, dating and interviewing are getting to be a little too competitive in their demand for my patience. Let’s be honest, patience is not a virtue I am known for.

Here is my basic thought process for figuring out my next career move:

1) Determine what I’m looking for and what will make me happy – do I go after good job that I’m more attracted to the salary/status, or the job that will leave me even poorer but will fulfill a deeper satisfaction?

2) Throw away list from #1 and realize there are no F-ing jobs. Peruse Craigslist for ANYTHING that MIGHT be a potential option.

3) Stumble upon an Aladdin post (diamond in the rough, this is a good reference I promise) and tweak my resume to fit my new target.

4) Pray that they give me the time of day. Get an email scheduling interview!!

5) Schedule interview for next week. Get so excited that other job searches get put on hold.

6) Have interview, hold breath that they love me. This is it!!

7) Wait to hear back. I thought they liked me? I thought we connected?!

8) Back to square one.

See, fairly exhausting – both physically and mentally.

Now compare to dating:

1) Determine what I’m looking for – do I go for the hot guy whose personality I’m not really feeling, or the cute guy who I connect with on a deeper level?

2) Realize this is New York, and beggers can't be choosers. Accept date from any decent guy interested - but not the weird cab driver who told me I’d be alone for a long time and offered for me to spend the night. Ew.

3) Do my best to act slightly charming around potential dates and give out my phone number.

4) OMG he called me!

5) Schedule date for next week. Over-analyze and plan potential perfect match.

6) Go on date, he could be The One! Had a great time!

7) Seemed interested but no specific next date plans. Or maybe another date or two. But eventually it falls off the radar.

8) Back to square one.

My patience is stretched too thin to follow the same agonizingly tedious pattern in both areas of my life, and my professional life needs to be the main focus. Also the dating roster is bleak, and I’m too lazy to go scouting. Wah wah.

No comments:

Post a Comment