Thursday, October 22, 2009

On that Bumpy Road to Love

Ella Fitzgerald. Louis Armstrong. Duet. “Can’t take that away from me.” Trumpet. Talent. Soul. Best song ever.

The way you wear your hat
The way you sip your tea
The memory of all that
No they can't take that away from me

The way your smile just beams
The way you sing off key
The way you haunt my dreams
No they can't take that away from me

We may never never meet again, on that bumpy road to love
Still I'll always, always keep the memory of

The way you hold your knife
The way we danced till three
The way you changed my life
No they can't take that away from me


Sometime in early high school I developed a random appreciation for old school jazz and blues. Still love it. And this song. Not only is it beautiful, but the lyrics have always stuck with me.

There have been a few guys who I’ve actually loved. There have been million guys who for a millisecond I thought I loved. There were the guys that matter – who I will remember forever – and there are the guys who no longer exist in my conscious memory. And some are in between.

This song helps identify those that deserve to be in the first category. You never know how things will end up in life until you’re past them. I thought the college boyfriend was The One for years. I loved this song then and would occasionally think that I had already made it past that bumpy road to love.

HA HA, naive.

But looking back now, I’m not sad that it wasn’t the case. It wasn’t meant to be. But the way he wore his hat, the way we danced till three, the way he changed my life, no they can’t take that away from me. Coincidentally tomorrow would have been our five year anniversary.

Every relationship that counts will teach you something. Just because someone wasn't The One doesn't mean you should forget them all together. You shouldn’t block out the memories - they’re not just about him, they’re about you too. About where you were as a person and how you've changed.

Wowza this is deep stuff...maybe this will make up for yesterday's bitchy outta yer league post?

No comments:

Post a Comment