Monday, October 19, 2009

Pen Pals

For the first ten or so years of our friendship, The BFF and I would spend our summers emailing long correspondences back and forth...and sometimes AIM conversations if one of us was willing to mess up our sleep schedule a little for the eight hour time difference. So I'm cool with having a pen pal. It's even the typical friendship status I now have with most of my close friends who live in other cities and I don't get to see very often, but I still like to know what’s going on in their lives. Gotta love gchat pen pals.


But, you know who I’m really not that into being pen pals with? Guys I’ve dated. Although last year I had a handful of guys who I would email (or FB message or text) back and forth with although there was no real expectation that we’d actually hang out, it was nice to have someone on the bench.

Now, not so much. I just don’t have the patience for it. Like, that’s great we’re communicating and all, but if it’s pretty clear this isn’t going anywhere, then I am not really in the mood to chit chat on the phone or receive random check-in texts. I’m talking to you, Native New Yorker. While he gets cut some slack for being out of the city most of the week due to his typical consultant schedule, he doesn’t tend to make plans in his regular de-brief sessions. So what is the point? You like me enough to complain about your crappy travel schedule, send funny things about your cat or generally be inquisitive about my life, yet you don’t want to give up a Friday night to hang out with me?

Sorry, I have too many other pen pals to keep up with. See ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment