Thursday, January 27, 2011

Guy Hot vs. Girl Hot: Not Ending Anytime Soon

The problems caused by the differences between Guy Hot vs. Girl Hot, something I wrote about when I first started the blog, have started to plague my life.

Okay maybe that's a bit dramatic. But it's just not my fault. I can't help it. I like some ugly shiz. I mean, you might think it's cute, but boy oh boy do boys not agree.

(Not totally true. Some guys understand and/or appreciate fashion. But that does not mean they think you look hot. So keep that in mind.)

It all started a few weeks ago. First I got this black blazer with gold sequin trim from Anthro. It was on sale; I was in the mood to spend money; and I was feeling under the weather therefore not totally thinking straight. Recipe for disaster. Even The BFF referred to it as "a little Gay Circus Ringleader," but that didn't deter me.

I love looking at other people's fashion blogs like Cupcakes & Cashmere and
Sugarlaws. But the effort it would take me for me to A) walk to the closet and try on these clothes,
B) convince The BFF to seriously take pictures of me wearing these "outfits,"
and, C) Not look like I went to the gym and have been to too lazy to shower,
would be too much to handle. Be thankful you've been spared from Amateur Hour.

Next up on the same shopping trip was a stop by Zara where I picked up this fur paneled sweater thingy. Having worn it a few times I've come to the realization that it's probably the least flattering thing ever, but so comfortable. I just can't give it up. This sweater > most guys I've met lately.
Oy. Two man repellent purchases in one day. Pretty much the opposite of my new dating resurgence goal. (Non-terrorist version of resurgency, obv.)

But before I could shut off the tap to my unnecessary clothes habit, I treated myself to a lunch time retail therapy session. Working in Mid-Town has its perks, and I hit the sales at the new Urban that was just opened under my office building. (43rd & 5th - FYI - by far the nicest Urban I've been to in the city.) 

While I was innocently browsing, I fell in love with a long, petal pink tulle skirt. I knew it was wrong, but I couldn't say no. It's whimsical and delicate. (Two things I am am not, therefore I am still curious why I thought I could pull it off.)

I wore it to brunch at ABC Kitchen last weekend. I figured if there was anywhere I'd feel like slightly less than a 100% Total Jackass for wearing it, that would be a good place. IMO, I totally pulled it off. Perhaps I am more delicate and whimsical than I thought, no? (The answer is no. I just got lucky.)
Which has given me new found inspiration to take advantage of living in a city of fashion, full of freaks way weirder than me. I'll do what I want and wear what I want. So guys can suck it.

PS: The queen of Girl Hot blogging - The Man Repeller - had a nice little write up in the Times last month. Thanks for the trend spotting, Paper of Record.

PPS: Even after wearing all these outfits I've still managed to get a date scheduled for tonight. Woo hoo go me.

1 comment:

  1. Fun post! I like the skirt and agree that it's tough to pull off -so nice job going for it! BTW - came across your blog from sugarlaws...nice tip on the Nine West boots! Such a great deal!! I had to order a pair, so hopefully they're just as cute in person :).

    Thanks!
    Ann Marie
    stellawishes.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete