Monday, January 3, 2011

A New Year To Remember

I'll be honest, I do not care for New Year's. It never turns out to be as fun as you hoped it would be, and then January 1 rolls around and you're hungover and mildly depressed because now that diet really has to start. For real. 
Me, the best man Max, my brother Eric, and one highly
annoyed cocker spaniel. "Poor me, I'm wearing a hat."
Get over it, Jesse, you look good. 


But that wasn't the case this year. (Actually, that's not totally true. The hangover and the diet thing still apply). I spent the new year surrounded by extended family and close friends in Austin for my brother's wedding. And it was far more fun than I could have imagined.

It started New Year's Eve morning at a fantastic "rehearsal brunch" at Chez Zee. Then later that night everyone (we're talking almost 50 relatives and practically-relatives) came to our house for a low key beef stew and cornbread feast. One of the highlights was everyone looking at (read: laughing hysterically at) my parents' wedding album from 28 years earlier (to the day). From the number of family members shown to be passed out on couches during the reception, it seemed to have been a pretty rockin' party.

The next day - 1.1.11. - it was time for the main event. And, after months of worrying about (but not really doing anything to prepare for them), I had finally checked off my list of duties.

First I knocked out the slideshow. Considering Charlie and Emily have dated for eight years and are both extremely good looking, finding pictures was no challenge. Condensing them into something shorter than a multi-part mini-series was the tricky part.

I was most proud of the alternating baby pictures at the beginning. Sweet little Emily. Charlie eating dirt. Sweet little Emily. Charlie going out through the doggy door. Sweet little Emily. Charlie climbing on top of boat house like a wild man. At least he turned out quasi-normal.

Some family members joked that this speech
was the most they'd ever heard Charlie talk.
At least it was a great toast.
Next I had to tackle my duty of wedding day makeup for the bride. No, I do not know how I landed that gig, and yes, I was really worried about it. My biggest concern wasn’t that she wouldn’t look pretty – she’s what you call a natural beauty - it was that she would turn out looking like ol’ Ghost Face Killa Rachel (which apparently is due to my Bare Minerals usage!) in all the pictures. Don't worry, though, she looked stunning.  I did not ruin the wedding.

I also did her maid of honor Traci’s makeup and my mom’s too. I think I have a gift. My mom doesn't think I should quit my day job though. I'll keep you posted.

In addition to that, I had been asked to read something at the wedding, my choice. Pressure, pressure. I chose the poem "Blessing of the Hands," which I thought I could handle pretty well. Until I decided to practice it in front of some of my younger cousins on New Year's Eve. After I finished, nine-year-old Jordan gave me some notes. “Umm, that line about how you talk about their future children is a little presumptuous.” What can I say, she’s always been precocious.

Then she proceeded to show me how a real entertainer would present it…by beat box rapping the whole thing, and modifying the line.

A few of the cousins, including my
wedding reading under study.
“Boom, ch, boom boom ch. ...These are the hands that will hold your children…if you choose to have them.”

I died. During the actual reading at the wedding, those who had already heard the story could tell I was holding in giggles when I read that part out loud. Other people thought I was choking back tears. If they only knew.

Last but not least, even after 10 days of non-stop holiday eating, I still fit into my bridesmaid dress. Which would have been incredibly embarrassing had that not been the case considering the two six month pregnant bridesmaids managed to too!

After the ceremony – which took place at Riverbend’s Smith Family Chapel aka where Nick and Jessica got married – we took a charter bus to The Salt Lick Pavilion.

The room was stunning. Totally perfect. Emily and her mom did an amazing job, and one of my college BFFs Keaton helped set it all up while we were at the church. (If any of you Austinites need and/or know of anyone looking for a great wedding/party coordinator/planner, Keaton’s your girl. Email me for her info.)

The rest of the night was amazing.

Victory.
Especially the part when I put my middle school basketball rebounding skills to use to dominate the bouquet catching. Like a champion. But not to be upstaged by me, my brother Eric caught the garter. With a diving grab. Show off.

We’ll see who makes it down the aisle first. (As my mother reminded me in a Facebook caption, "She doesn't even have a boyfriend.") The winning prize is a performance of Thriller by my dad’s side of the family. I’m serious. My Aunt Barb showed me the moves she already knows (sadly they didn’t learn the whole thing before this wedding). We will be holding her to it.

All in all it was such a fun time! Except I'm still exhausted. Don't mind me while I go lie down in solitude for the next month to recuperate. (Couldn't hurt the diet.)

A few more of my favorite snap shots:

 


No comments:

Post a Comment