Friday, December 17, 2010

Two Classy Ladies

Card carrying member of the Clean Plate club
...and the Cup of Vodka Martini club.
Since I am against making the effort to go on actual dates, I will share with you the lovely "Wife Date" The BFF and I had at a new restaurant that just opened this week. Because that's how we roll. Baller city.

Beauty & Essex, whose founder/chef Chris Santos also started Stanton Social and is a judge on Food Network's Chopped in case you care, was
a-mazing.

The decor is just the right combination of gaudy and chic that allows you to simultaneously feel a little modern day Mad Men while also getting a hint of Atlantic City. You'd like it.

Plus they serve you complimentary champagne in the bathroom (which, while kind of defeating the purpose of going to the bathroom, is still awesome). Also, this is kind of weird, but I'm just going to say it: I totally judge places based on bathroom decor. And this "lounge" was beautiful.

While the placement of our table left something to be desired (i.e. wedged in between two actual couples having the most annoying conversations ever), the food was excellent.

And that's saying something considering The BFF and I are both fairly big food snobs (plus we had the desire to be extra critical since that's how Santos is toward the contestants on Chopped).

Splitting - as suggested by our waiter - a bunch (too many maybe) dishes, the steak tartare on crispy rice cakes was my favorite. Why did it beat out the rest? One word: horseradish.

Love the stuff.

And while I was (almost) at the point of licking it off my plate, I realized that there is a short list of ingredients that, if on a menu, will make my ordering decision for me. Here's what I came up with:
  • Horseradish
  • Goat cheese
  • Wasabi
  • Braised short ribs
  • Crispy shallots
  • Pancetta (let's be honest, pork belly and bacon too)
  • Mushrooms

Oh, and if something is served with a side already (cough cough herb-dusted french fries), then count me in.

Anyway, it was a fun night and a great reminder that although I sometimes complain about being single, I am thankful for this time in my life. I'm at the pinnacle of selfishness. And if I want to treat myself to a delicious "I totally could have bought groceries for a week but oh well" dinner for no reason other than I Just Feel Like It (totally legit reason in my book) on a Wednesday night with my favorite roommate, I can.

And I will.

P dot S: Below is our pre-dinner conversation, proving our maturity. Thank goodness Gchat enables The BFF, S, and I to still have chat rooms like we did in middle school.

Me: are we drinking at dinner?

The BFF: i vote martini

S: its all martinis for me in the new year...

The BFF: what a classy resolution! i second that

Me: your idea of a martini is a cup of vodka...and maybe some pickle juice...let''s not pretend like we're that classy

The BFF: oh right.

Someday we'll be classy, someday. But considering The BFF complained at dinner that her martini was "too smooth and not Vodka-y enough," I'm not quire sure it will be tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment