Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Knowing When to Close the File [Guest Post by Meg MacDougal]

[Editor's Note: Once upon a time I was Editor-in-Chief of the yearbook. It ruled. Clearly I love to be in charge (because I'm bossy). Anyway, since I have friends who are equally if not more entertaining than (I think) I am, my goal is to incorporate their hilarious dating insight into this blog. Please feel free to email me if you have something to share ... PS I get full editorial approval and you have to call me The Editor.]

Meg MacDougal:


Many times, you know right away that it’s time to close the file. And in some cases, you don’t even have to go through the trouble of creating a file at all.

Case in point:
The guy that inappropriately propositioned me via work VM (voice mail) after getting my business card at a semi-work-related event (which is probably a story for another time …).

In other cases, it’s not so cut and dry – if only “he’s just not that into you” was as easy to decipher as the author of that damn book (and Justin Long) would have you believe. As per “Dating on the MTA Timetable,” there are often other factors at play.

So when do you chalk it up to a loss and move on? When do you give up on something that could potentially turn out to be a successful relationship? It’s hard to say, because, as clearly evidenced throughout Rachel’s astute musings, finding a worthy candidate in this zoo of a city often proves near impossible.

So it’s understandable that when a true potential comes along, the desire to hold on for dear life inevitably manifests itself in record time. Watch out, as this enthusiasm (while well-meant, perhaps) generally starts to morph into a full-blown case of CGS pretty quickly.

Next question: so how do you cure (or even avoid) said case of CGS? Learn when to go ahead and wield the “Closed-File” stamp. Easier said than done (sounds like I’m speaking from experience here?). If lining up initial dates is the equivalent of pulling teeth, maybe that should be taken as foreshadowing for the entire relationship. I may or may not have an open file that’s ripe for closing – If only I could heed my own advice …

1 comment: