Monday, December 5, 2011

Where Did All My Money Go? Paris Edition


Me and Ellen in the scariest elevator ever.
Paris was the second stop on my Euro "backpacking" trip I took the summer before I moved to New York. And although it rained almost constantly, my boyfriend lost his wallet, and I consumed enough tuna kits to convince myself I might have mercury poisoning (they seemed like a good idea at 3am), I fell in love with the city.

The only downside was instead of lounging at outdoor cafés, strolling around the beautiful blocks, and spending loads of money, I was a poor college student surrounded by 40 other poor college students, all herded around like cattle from museum to museum. Not exactly très chic.

This time Ellen and I did Paris on our own time. Since we had both visited all the "must see!" attractions before, we did and saw and ate whatever we wanted. It was glorious. 

First, the food. Melt-in-your-mouth macarons from Pierre Hermé. Liquid heaven hot chocolate from Café Angelina’s (basically the Serendipity of Paris, minus John Cusack). Baguettes, cheese, more carbs, more cheese. Afternoon champagne and café au lait. Although it was all good, the culinary activity highlight for me was dinner at Le Relais de l'Entrecôte, “THE French restaurant” according to the friend we met there. And not just because of the steak smothered in "secret" creamy mustard sauce served with crunchy French fries.

You see, for approximately the length of time I have known The BFF, I have heard about her two best friends from Lebanon. One I met in New York a few years ago, and now, finally, I can say I've gotten to know her sister. She was just as sweet and fun as I had imagined. (And she has great taste in American entertainment aka got my Serendipity reference and loves Chuck Bass.)

And €20 euros later...
I find myself here.


Moving on to the shopping. The Champs-Elysées Christmas Market, although nothing compared to German Christmas Markts, was decorated with a million lights. Printemps (dressed up for Christmas by Karl Lagerfeld) was full of lust-worthy everything. Galeries Lafayette and its famous animatronic Christmas window displays drew the crowds. Les Puces flea market, which while in the middle of the least desirable Parisian neighborhood, had plenty of old charm.

I should note that Ellen brings out the worst in me shopping-wise. Okay, that’s a cop-out. My fiscal irresponsibility of late is my own fault. I can’t fight the urge to buy my own love! It’s totally cool, no reason to worry… (Dad, I’m talking to you. It’s all fine.) But being with Ellen, when I see a necklace, bracelet, trinket, ornament, original Babar the elephant print, Russian Doll toothpick holder, etc., is not good because she is clearly not a voice of reason. So I have returned bearing gifts (almost entirely for myself) since I am terrible and selfish. Sorry I'm not sorry.

Suit-case-inforced-self-control. (I NEED a GIANT clock, RIGHT??)
SANTA! OH MY GOD! SANTA'S COMING! I KNOW HIM! I KNOW HIM!

Finally, possibly my favorite, the city itself. There are plenty of great cities in Europe. I have been to many, I hope to travel to more. But there is something about Paris. Ooooh la la. I assume we can agree French buildings are totally the Ryan Gosling of architecture.

I fell even more in love with it all when we realized our hotel was a few blocks away from the heart of Montmartre, formerly the home to artists like Monet and Picasso. The evening we spent there, roaming through the stalls at the Abbessess Christmas market, stumbling on the café from Amélie, and trekking up the hill to the Sacré-Cœur Basilica, was what I would consider to be perfect.

Although I much preferred the blue skies we had on Friday, Owen Wilson’s character in Midnightin Paris wasn’t totally wrong when he said that Paris was beautiful in the rain. (He was wrong when he said it was the best because clearly fear of poking someone in the eye with your umbrella takes a little something away from the experience.) But still, it was lovely.

"Pinterest: Real Life"

Lights, camera, architecture. (ahhahah)
I hope reading this recap makes you feel as fat and poor yet equally satisfied as I do. It was a great trip, a last European jaunt before I leave The Continent. (Man I will miss writing such annoying sentences when I’m back.)

2 comments:

  1. I just love, love, love your posts like this. It makes me just want to pack up my suitcase and leave the country asap.
    Laughing out loud at the "Ryan Gosling of architecture." So great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I YEARN to go back! What a great recap. You really packed a lot in!

    ReplyDelete