Friday, December 9, 2011

When The Saints Go Marchin' In........ To Berlin

Have you ever been curious about what it would be like to be surrounded by hundreds of Germans gettin' down to some good, old school New Orleans funk? 

Well, in a word, it was awesome. (Originally I was worried it might be another "a" word...as in "awkward.") But no. Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue killed it. They always do.

[via Trombone Shorty website.]

Every show I've seen has been nothing short of an experience. These guys are some of the most talented musicians around. I am allowed to make bold claims like this because even though I personally have a negative amount of musical talent, growing up in Austin, the "Live Music Capital of the World," has instilled in me a strong appreciation for the talent of others.

Needless to say when I learned the band was coming on a German tour and playing in Berlin, there was no doubt that I would be there. And luckily I enticed my American friend Rachel to come with me by promising her "the best concert ever." Her reaction afterwards? "That was THE best concert ever."

[via Trombone Shorty website.]

So, this holiday season, I am not going to get you a present. I am giving you your gift right now. It is the gift of knowledge. Listen to their music. Go seem them live. Here is a link to tour dates. (FYI: They will be in ATX, Houston and Dallas in February.)

If the Berlin crowd was any indication (young, old, gay, straight, making out in front of me, not making out in front of me), it was that this show is for everyone who loves fun and dancing. Is that you? I thought so.

[via Trombone Shorty website.]

If I haven't yet sold you on the caliber of their talent, let me just say that any band whose members can rotate instruments deserves some serious credit. Especially while seamlessly mixing in covers of James Brown, Snoop Dogg and Louis Armstrong.

Speaking of Louis, Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrew's spot-on, gravelly impression of the King of Jazz brought down the house. And left me wondering for the rest of the night, "How did every German in there know all the words to "When the Saints Go Marching In"???

PS: My other two favorite bands to see live? Ghostland Observatory (Capes! Lasers! Dance party!) and Robert Randolph & The Family Band (Slide guitar! Gospel! Dance party!). (Brooklyn Bowl recap here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment