Thursday, December 22, 2011

Seasons Greetings From Austin

I am alive, I know you were very concerned. After a wonderful last week in Berlin, I made it back to New York on Saturday. Literally as soon as I walked in the door, I was promptly whisked away by The BFF to a holiday party followed by three straight days of more catching up with close friends, eating, drinking and being jet-lagged.

Also, during that time I won BINGO at Tortilla Flats, where I was coerced into chugging a glass of warm well gin to win a free t-shirt. If you know me, you know I think gin tastes like trees. You are also aware of the fact I am not too mature to turn something tree-tasting down in the face of a crowd chanting my name. RACHEL! RACHEL! is practically synonymous with USA! USA! After being away for all this time, there was no way I was letting down my people. (It was a Christmas Miracle I did not throw up, and the t-shirt is totally awesome.)

Anyway, the last few days have been surreal. Hearing English wherever I go, following the same paths I've worn into the sidewalks of New York, talking with friends as if no time has gone by (this is primarily thanks to The Internet and the fact we caught up on a regular basis but whatever).

It has been great to be back. I miss Berlin, but I am excited to be in Austin for CHRISTMAS! And that is all I can focus on right now.

Well, that, and getting lectured by Dolo on the proper etiquette of taking a flattering picture while riding on a camel. "The mistake I made was wearing white pants."(As learned on the cruise she and my mom took following their visit to Berlin.)

It is good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment