Friday, November 4, 2011

Leaving On An Airplane

Normally the idea of being held captive for more than a few hours seems like cruel and unusual punishment, but being the small child I am, the lure of business class (and airport lounges) made my 19-hour trip back to Austin seem like a reward. A reward for what, I am not sure, but either way I’m taking it.

So it was with this positive attitude that I settled into my first flight and did something I have done maybe five times in my whole life. No, I did not turn down free food. That is physically impossible. Obviously those mini tea sandwiches were gone in mere minutes.

But I did initiate conversation with a stranger on the plane. Unlike my mother who is The Queen of Random Best Friend Making, I don't always feel the need to befriend randoms, especially those I will be forced to share oxygen with for the next two hours. But considering I've spent the past three months practically mute in public due to the language barrier, I couldn't help myself. Plus I got a good vibe from the guy next to me. Turns out he was really hung over, a quality I always appreciate in others because it makes me feel better about myself. Like, yes, I’m kind of sad right now, but at least I don’t feel like puking.

Anyway, within approximately five minutes of conversation, I realized what it was about him that made him so approachable. He was literally the LA reincarnation of my ex-boyfriend J. I am not totally up to speed on the ends and outs of reincarnation so I don’t know if technically one of them has to be dead and one of them has to be an animal, but J and Plane Friend were kindred spirits. Specifically, they are both charismatic Jews from Washington DC who seem to find me moderately entertaining. Why I told him about Shotsgiving, I am not totally sure, but he was on board.

We had a nice chat – only on the bun of the flight aka takeoff and landing because anything more is clearly encroaching on socially unacceptable - and he ended give me his business card. His company owns a bunch of concert venues around the world and he can allegedly hook me up with free tickets. As with my policy on free food, I do not turn down free fun activities.  

A room with a view.
Then the weirdest thing happened. While I was checking my email in Chicago waiting to board my third and final flight to Austin (while simultaneously trying my best not to pass out from the 100,000 calories consumed across the Atlantic), I received an email from the aforementioned ex J. The Universe is weird like that. 

He was thoughtful enough to check in on me and offer his support of my awesomeness.  I appreciated hearing from him as I did reading the nice notes others of you left. Those did a lot to lift my spirits. Those and being called Madam while eating scones for eight hours. Those Brits sure know how to treat a lady. 

All in all, it was a good trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment