Monday, November 7, 2011

Girl Crush: Mindy Kaling

I have a new friend. By friend, I mean celebrity girl crush with whom I would love to laugh with over brunch. Mindy Kaling, triple threat actor/writer/director for The Office, wrote a book which I knew would be amazing. I have been building it up to myself and others for weeks (months?).

Luckily Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? lived up to my incredibly high expectations and proved to be the perfect entertainment for my trip back to Austin. I started it on my first flight, and the next thing I knew, I was more than halfway done with it. Since I pretend like do this new thing called “implore self control”, I tried to pace myself. You shouldn’t read a whole book in one sitting. You need to savor the humor. Let it marinate in your mind.

And that is sort of what I did. Mostly because one flight would end, forcing me to put it down and go through security again because clearly that is necessary, Chicago. But either way, Mindy was a great travel buddy. Assuming you take all of my recommendations very seriously, please go buy the book right now so we can talk about it. Kind of like the best book club ever because it’s the only way to ensure I read the book on time. In case you forgot, it's all about me.

Anyway, one thing I like about Mindy is that she doesn’t intimidate me. I would pee my pants if I met Tina or Amy. Chelsea would probably humiliate me while she peed her own pants (if you’ve read any of her books you know this is a signature Handler move), but Mindy just seems like someone who I would totally assume wanted to be my best friend until she awkwardly had to remove my hand from her shoulder and be all “You seem like you could be funny, but I have to go now…”

Which is exactly what I’m looking for in a new pseudo potential celebrity best friend.

P dot S: Turns out Mindy wrote one of my absolute favorite Office episodes where Michael burns his foot on his George Foreman grill. Please enjoy this genius:

Michael Scott: “I enjoy having breakfast in bed. I like waking up to the smell of bacon, sue me. And since I don't have a butler, I have to do it myself. So, most nights before I go to bed, I will lay six strips of bacon out on my George Foreman grill. Then I go to sleep. When I wake up, I plug in the grill. I go back to sleep again. Then I wake up to the smell of crackling bacon. It is delicious, it's good for me, it's the perfect way to start the day.”

1 comment:

  1. Read this post, put it on my Amazon wishlist, got it for Christmas and am already finished reading. Loved it. Thanks for the recommendation!!

    ReplyDelete