Sunday, November 27, 2011

German Thanksgiving Wasn't So Bad After All

Another Thanksgiving away from home has come and gone. Luckily it was full of friends and multiple helpings of sweet potatoes to make up for being thousands of miles away. Oh, and the Longhorns beat A&M. I was also thankful for that.

Ellen arrived on Thursday night from Spain, and although she was unfortunately delayed with a lost bag situation, we had a good mini-feast including turkey, gravy, sweet potatoes and green bean casserole
For a first time Thanksgiving cooking attempt in a foreign country, I have to say: I am amazing!!!! I am the best American ever! You all should be jealous you weren't here to experience it! I might have trouble over-compensating with braggery!
And on Saturday we had Round II. Americans, Germans, Austrians, Haitians and a French girl. We are pretty global after all. 

In addition to Thanksgiving, we also celebrated the start of Christmas Market season, something Ellen and I have been eagerly awaiting since approximately July. Spoiler alert: It was just as amazing as we'd hoped.

We kicked things off on Friday night at the Lucia Christmas Market at the KulturBrauerei in Prenzlauerberg. Even the drizzly weather couldn't dampen our excitement. (Ha.)
It was also the start of our Glühwein (mulled wine) tour where we learned that you can pay an extra euro or two to keep the mug. Aka our favorite souvies. Aka souvenirs. Aka really smart idea to bring back six coffee mugs when there might be a spatial issue with my suitcase.


Saturday morning we woke up with a mission. We had done our research, learned which markets started at what time, and planned accordingly. Up first was Alexanderplatz.


[You might recognize this clock from my masthead.] 
We'd heard this one was a little cheesy and touristy.

And it was.


But that doesn't mean we didn't enjoy ourselves. *Enjoy ourselves is code for "spend money"
[Obligatory "Rachel Stand Like A Statue" picture slash Berlin Bear pic.]
Next we made our way to Gendarmenmarkt in Mitte.


This market was definitely the most beautiful in terms of location with the tents nestled between some of Berlin's most historic buildings.

It also had the most random holiday entertainment, e.g. a guy singing Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side".
And it was the only place where I saw dogs whose facial expressions made me keel over with laughter. I mean, if these Mops don't make you smile then you should probably skip the Christmas season all together because your heart is clearly made of stone.



Our final stop of the day was at the Schloss Charlottenburg Markt across town. 

 

It was interesting to see how each market, although selling similar (or the exact same) things, all had different atmospheres. This one was more of the Palace-y feel with, you know, the palace serving as the backdrop. 

 
 

It was a great weekend. I am currently trying to determine how best to pack up all of my loot (which includes gifts for others!) and haul it back Stateside. I keep reminding myself that it shouldn't be that hard. I mean, if Santa can can do it, it has to be possible. Oh wait, shit.


Hopefully everyone else had a great Thanksgiving too! 
And hooray for the official start of the holiday season!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like loads of fun! My first Thanksgiving away from home was last year. I definitely tried to make the best of it and it looks like you did too! :)

    ReplyDelete