Monday, November 19, 2012

Yep, I'm Thankful

To be perfectly honest, I was sorta the opposite of a joy to be around this weekend. My mood swung a mighty berth between lethargic depression and rainy-day-induced-cabin-fever-mania. We were supposed to be moving. We were supposed to be getting settled. We are stuck! I'm never leaving this bed! Oh no, my favorite indoor "yoga pants" (haha pajama pants let's be real) got wet! MY LIFE IS OVER.

And then Spiros said the famous phrase, "Could you have imagined we'd be here this time last year?"

Of course I couldn't. No one could. It's totally and completely wonderfully insane how the past 12 months have turned out.

Specifically this time last year I was preparing to have Thanksgiving in Berlin. I spent that Thursday working, something that feels incredibly heartless and cruel even if you are in a country whose history doesn't involve stuffing, turkey, and pumpkin pies. Luckily my friend Ellen came to visit and we had a great time, but something about being so far away from home and family was hard, much harder than it had been when I was in New York.

This time last year I was depressed. I never thought I would meet someone who I would honestly love and who would honestly love me back. I also felt stuck in a lot of situations that I knew I was ready to move on from. That was the thing: I was ready. Ready for something great to happen.

And now here I am, a million miles closer to where I want to be. I'm not at the end goal yet, but I'm happy. So lucky and thrilled with where life has brought me. And beyond excited that Spiros and I will be spending Thanksgiving with my family.

But before we hop on a plane on Wednesday evening, we've gotten word that our stuff will be moved tomorrow. Things will be crazy, disorganized, and chaotic, but it's all coming together.

And, as a bonus, I'm pretty sure all of that energy burned will break even with the amount of food I'm going to devour. (Or, as a back up plan, I will bring my newly cleaned "yoga pants" with me to wear 24/7.)

I hope everyone else has a great Thanksgiving too, no matter where you are. And if you don't happen to be in the situation you want for yourself, always remember you have no idea where you'll be next year. 

P dot S: Here are a few recent pictures of things I'm thankful for:



Did I forget to tell you? I made friends with a turtle. His name is Moe.

No comments:

Post a Comment