Thursday, November 29, 2012

First Impressions of La La Land

We have officially been in our new place a week (but technically only four days since we went to Austin in between). It was kind of crazy to take off only a few hours after the movers came, but in hindsight it was actually pretty awesome. We were getting a wee bit testy with one another from all the stress and endless boxes so to be able to walk from it and come back fresh ruled. As Spiros said, "I'd definitely recommend everyone plan a little holiday in the middle of their move." (I really hope Spiros' diction doesn't change from its precious Euro-ness, it would be a reallll shame.)

Anyway, here are a few snippets of first impressions:

  • Bentleys, Bentleys, everywhere. Please God don't let me hit one.
  • I am the fattest person at my new yoga studio :( (Also over Thanksgiving my family told me it was "genetically impossible" for me to become anorexic. Goooood times.) I will miss being able to strategically situate myself next to someone who ways more than 55 lbs in order to not feel terrible the entire time. But perhaps it will be the real motivation I need?
  • People in LA are probably the worst driver's in the world. Spiros said they are "animals" here. And having learned to drive in the insanity of Athens, that is saying something. 
  • I realized I am bad at celebrity spotting because I tend to think I am the most important person in my vicinity. Maybe I will fit in here after all!
  • I am awesome at online shopping. So far everything that has been delivered we love. (Pictures to come, it is still half done.)
  • My bartering skills when dealing with service people have definitely improved, but I can only handle so many phone calls with Time Warner Cable before I almost cry on the phone. (Apparently the more you scream "THIS IS RIDICULOUS" to a customer service representative in India, the less they know how to deal with you.)
  • And last, but not least: WE ARE GETTING A PUPPY. WE ARE GETTING A PUPPY. WE ARE GETTING A PUPPY. In case it hasn't sunk in yet, WE ARE GETTING A PUPPY! I know it is not right to compare this to women who suffer from infertility and struggle for years to get pregnant, but whatever, THAT IS HOW I FEEL. IT IS FINALLY HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The end. 

P dot S: Everyone come visit ASAP. Even if I don't know you, that's cool. If you pass the rigorous screening process of thinking I am funny and also not being a robber/murderer, then it's fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment