Friday, November 9, 2012

Drive Down Memory Lane

I love to listen to music, but unless I'm in route somewhere, I rarely do. When I'm at home, more often than not, the TV is on. (I know, it's one of my weaknesses: I LOVE TV.)

Maybe it's because I own very little music compared to most people I know. When I was in elementary school I got Ace of Base for my discman (because who didn't have that as their first CD?), and a couple of others (Mariah Carey! TLC!), but that was that. I was just never a huge collector of music. Instead, I relied on the radio (and the kindness of Shawn and The BFF to make me mixed CDs). Then, in college I got an iPod that I filled with "borrowed" music. We lived a long, happy life together until it died a slow, agonizing death last summer before I went to Berlin.

Anyway, this long diatribe is just to say how happy I am to be reunited with music via the radio in my car. Because who listens to the radio except when in a car? No one, I'm fairly certain. And without a car for the past five years or so, I have listened to very little radio. So now I'm reunited with both, and honestly even though paying for car insurance and over $4 a gallon sucks (yeah, Texans, I said FOUR DOLLARS SO STOP YOUR COMPLAINING) I do quite love listening to the radio again.

Although Spiros has complained about the station options in LA and surrounding areas, I'll be honest I'm pretty happy. That's because we found a beautiful old-school easy listening station that plays the best of Middle School Dance music (aka 90s R&B aka the only music that really speaks to my soul) as well as other ballads that are like little time machines.

I'm sorry, I don't know about you, but I will never get sick of listening to Boyz II Men's sweet baritone angel voices serenade me with both singing and spoken word.

I'm assuming this video won all sorts of awards. 

Never forget...to turn on the radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment