Sunday, June 26, 2011

Surreal-ity

In May when I was presented with the offer to "move" to Berlin for a few months, I immediately accepted that this was the next step in my life. Duh, great opportunity.

But then everything sat on the back burner for awhile. The thought that it would actually happen floated around me, but it was not front and center. I got caught up in real life. Plus, like most business deals, there were a lot of loose ends out of my control. I had no idea if it would actually happen.

Well, this past week, things changed. Life got busy, anxiety-ridden and exciting.

On Tuesday I started my German lessons. Ich heiβe Rachel. Iche komme aus Texas. Ich wohne in Manhattan. I'm sure in five weeks when the course ends I'll be totally fluent. I am rather bright after all. Oh wait.

On Wednesday I had to go to Police Headquarters to get a "good conduct certificate" for my visa. I was hoping it would be a really exciting field trip but alas it was not. At all. But now I can say I've been finger printed by the NYPD. Have you?

On Thursday I booked my one-way flight to Berlin.

And on Friday I made a trip to the German consulate to start my visa application. (Yes, that probably should have been done a month ago, but like I said, lots of loose ends on the business side of things.)

So there you have it, a crazy week. And I have a feeling that's how they'll all be for the next month. What was once surreal is now becoming a reality. Fingers crossed it all works out.

2 comments:

  1. What?!?!? When do you leave??? This is such a shock - exciting, but totally out of left field! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my GOSH girl!! That is so, SO exciting! I lived in Germany for three years when I was much younger... it's a beautiful country!!

    ReplyDelete